_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Research help needed
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 02:50 AM UTC
Good day fellow model makers,

I'm in need of help with research for my next project that I want to build.
This time I have chosen to buy the French B1 Bis from Tamiya.
But I'm wanting to do research before I'm going to start with the new project, because I want to know about my subject before I'm going to model it.
I must say that the only sources that I've liked so far are Tanks Encyclopedia and another site that I can't remember the name of this fast.
I have done searching on the internet before, but that was disappointing. Not giving the results that I wanted.
That is why I'm wanting to buy books for this as well.
I'm not able to read French, I'm only able to read English and Dutch.
With every other language I need help with translation.
I hope you are able to help me out in this matter.

Bye for now,

Lada_Niva
Stoottroeper
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,107 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 03:15 AM UTC
Does this site help?

http://france1940.free.fr/en_index.html#Army

Peter
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 03:23 AM UTC
The single best book is Bonnaud, S. "Chars B au Combat - Hommes et Matériels du 15e BCC", 2002, Histoire & Collections, Paris, ISBN 2-913903-42-8 Yes, the text is French, but the photos and illustrations are excellent. Also Danjou, P. "Char B1 bis - Focus No 4", 2009, Editions du Barbotin, Les Corvées Les Yys, France, ISBN 978-2-917661-05-5 difficult to find now, but English text.
Here is one of the best walk-arounds. This vehicle is one of the best preserved. https://www.scalenews.de/renault-char-b1-bis-walkaround/
Many of the museum specimens are inaccurate is some way, for example neither of the two Bs at Saumur have authentic APX4 turrets. Feel free to contact me - trmorgan(at)mts.net

Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 03:27 AM UTC
Note, even on the walk-around I just recommended, there are errors. The Renault name plate on the bow was only added after the Germans made alterations. Here is a summation of corrections for the kit http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/divers/maquettes?task=view&id=1231
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 05:15 AM UTC
Thank you for the reply, these are sources that I have to take a closer look on later on. Don't have time for it now at time of writing this. But I will look at it later. And I will give feedback as well. Thanks again and have a great day.
 _GOTOTOP