_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
British Tanker Wool color
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 07:11 AM UTC
Anyone know a good color match for the undershirt British tankers wore in WW2?

I am painting this figure from ultracast

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/ult35050.htm

The undershirt seems to be a stone type color. My research online shows surplus ones in anything from khaki/olive green color to stone. What would be the correct color for Normandy era
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone know a good color match for the undershirt British tankers wore in WW2?

I am painting this figure from ultracast

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/ult35050.htm

The undershirt seems to be a stone type color. My research online shows surplus ones in anything from khaki/olive green color to stone. What would be the correct color for Normandy era

Matthew,

You've nearly answered your own question(!) When new the shirt would be a consistent dark khaki but with frequent washing you could end up with indeed, something approaching a stone colour. With that in mind there would be nothing to indicate a specific Normandy setting. They were produced in khaki flannel (KF) save the collar, or rather where the collar would be, which is a narrow strip of cloth lighter in colour.

The Ultracast image isn't far off to my mind for a shirt that has seen some service.

Really you can fade to taste in this instance.

Brian
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 07:36 AM UTC
Cheers!! That clears it up. So they were made in one color and faded to stone. So anything from khaki green to stone would be appropriate. I’ll probably go closer to stone/pale green
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 10:23 AM UTC
Matthew,

I'd stay away from any green shade if I were you; I would suggest Dark Khaki (new) - almost the brownish shade of Olive Drab available - through to pale khaki to nearly stone. KF is a very resilient material, designed to chafe yet almost survive at Ground Zero in my experience (I hasten to add I've worn later permutations of the material - I was NOT in WW2!). The stuff never tends towards the green.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you choose.

Brian
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 11:57 AM UTC
Would tamiya khaki be a good match? And then fade with tan/grey colours to taste?
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 01:18 AM UTC
Matthew,

I'm still Mr Enamels when it comes to my painting, but any good khaki would do, and as you point out, fading with tan/grey or even white should work just fine.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP