Hosted by Darren Baker
XM-398 with MGM-18 Lacrosse missile
mertox
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 10:55 AM UTC
Got this old classic. I tried something new I saw for the headlights and the caution and brake lights. Really liked the effect it had. An old kit, but looks pretty cool when finished. Definitely not a common topic in kits.

The Lacrosse missile had a missing wing. The kit is well out of issue, so I couldn't contact Revell for a replacement, so I had to fabricate one, the one on the near bottom. Handy use to recycle part of the box it came in! I just printed out a miniature map of a military installation in the New Mexico to hand for the crew to use.

The stowage seen in this one is a few pieces from Value Gear. Their stowage is pretty reasonable and I highly recommend them.

Close up of the map. I have included maps in a lot of my builds of vehicles from the 60s. They didn't use GPS back then, so I feel it is a nice touch to add. That panel opens up to the missile control panel, so seemed like an appropriate place to put it.

What 60s soldier would be caught without girly mags? Another thing I tend to add to my 60s and 70s builds.

It is hard to tell in this shot, but on the inside of the door, that black and white spot is a photo of the drivers "girl back home."

Painting lights tend to look fake, but I saw where someone on this same kit used beads to make the lights. My wife is into 5D bead kits and has a lot of extra beads, so I found some clear ones and some amber and red ones to make the lights for this build. I am really happy with how that turned out.

You can see the red and amber colored lights on the rear. Dry brushed some silver on the ladders to denote a lot of walking up and down them.

Overall, this old classed was a joy to build. Old Renwal molds have a lot of character to them. I have also built their M47, Teracruzer and Atomic Cannon and they all add some unique flavor to my collection.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 11:01 AM UTC
Nice. So what's your technique for the lights?
bat_213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 11:20 AM UTC
very cool build.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 11:50 AM UTC
Love those old kits, great job 👍
mertox
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice. So what's your technique for the lights?

Leftover beads from my wife's 5D painting kits. I am sure you can find them in any craft/hobby store, but the kits always have extras, so I borrowed a few of them.
 _GOTOTOP