Hosted by Darren Baker
Been gone for awhile, now I'm back...
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 03:13 PM UTC
Haven't been active here for a few years, but this Coronavirus jazz has provided ample time to get back into modeling.

This is on my workbench right now, Tamiya 1/35 straight M1 105mm Abrams.

I tried to recreate the NATO 3 Color scheme but it went sideways, so it went close enough instead *shrugs*

Glad to be back

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 06:16 PM UTC
Good to have you back

Good come back job too

Is that two sinkmarks on the front glacis, one on each side, just in front of the weld line?

/ Robin
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 12:22 AM UTC
Yep, unfortunately...

That's where the pins that attach the top hull to the bottom with poly caps are.

I didn't have any filler putty before I painted it, and it's a lot more noticeable from this particular angle than it really is. Once I give it a misting of road dust it should be less so.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 12:52 AM UTC
I'll say you've been gone gone for a while - that bottle of Testors is older than my daughter, and she's graduating this year.

Nice work on that old kit. One other minor niggle is that knock out circle on the hatch. If you still have no putty CA actually works faster and is easier IMO.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 12:52 AM UTC
I glue down small pieces of this styrene over such dimples and then sand or file it down when it has dried/hardened. I got fed up with putty years ago.
CA-glue can also be used to fill holes.
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 01:19 AM UTC
I got a tube of auto body spot putty the other day, I used to use Squadron but it shrank too badly for my liking.

I've also got some Evergreen sheet, I never even thought about filler discs for sinkholes like that. At least for the hull top dimples I may just use a helmet, rucksack, or other piece of TA-50 to place on top to hide them. Maybe fudge up a TM manual to lay over it.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 04:31 AM UTC
The Architects Way: When you eff-up, plant ivy, virgina creeper or something like that in front of it.

Covering up holes with some loose equipment sounds like an excellent idea.

I use a punch-n-die set to punch out suitable discs.
Some of the punches are perfect fits for some of the mold ejection pins so sometimes I get lucky and get discs that fit perfectly into the holes.

Food and cookie packaging is sometimes made of styrene and provide a free source of plasticard. No need to waste Evergreen sheets to fill holes. If the packaging is vac-formed it will also contain pieces of different thicknesses so it is possible to get a good fit in most situations. When I need really really thin styrene sheet I wait for the next invoice or other letter envelope with those little windows in it.
Have to go careful with the glue though since the "window" plastic is thinner than the zone influenced/softened by the glue

/ Robin
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 06:29 AM UTC
I had the exact same kit that travelled with me from move to move for nearly twenty years. and was the first kit I built when I broke my leg and picked up modeling again as a way to keep busy.

Got to say you NAILED the weathering on the running gear and skirts. Would love to see you do a video tutorial.

blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 09:26 AM UTC
Interesting project ! I'm impressed by your weathering on the running gear and skirt too. Would you mind sharing your techniques ?
 _GOTOTOP