PST Model company for 1/72nd scale
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi,
I need some advice about the model company called PST. I believe they are from the Chec republic. Are they a good company in terms of quality and accuracy of thier kits. I was also looking at one of thier models, the SU 152 tank destroyer and on the box it said that the kit has 190 highly detailed parts. Can any of you guys please give me some very needed information before I deside to buy this kit? Also, maybe, is there another model company out there that has good quality Russian WWII armor such as the SU 152 and the SU 100 in 1/72nd scale?
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:39 AM UTC
Well, I have a couple of their items, one being the T-34/76, which actually contains some of the SU parts (barrel, mantlet, etc). I'll be honest, it's kind of hit and miss. For starters, the alignment holes for maiting the two halves of the road wheels are off, so you will need to shave them off and line them by eye to make sure they match. Fit is iffy in some other areas as well. The profile looks kind of off as well. The worst part is trying to match the individual links up, as the end connectors are too thick, so you have to do a lot of sanding and trimming. I still haven't finished it because of the amount of work left on the track.

Personally, I'd stay away from the PST stuff (I have about 4 unassembled kits) as the detail isn't all that great. Stick with Revell.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hey PC, thanks for the info. Do you know if Revel has the SU-152? Also, have you heard that Trumpeter also has 1/72nd armor as well? I heard that thier kits are as good or better than Revel of Germany. Please give me your input on Trumpeters kits.
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 08:37 AM UTC
I'm not sure if Revell does. AER makes a fairly decent SU-100. Even better if you get the Eduard set for it. No othe SU-152 other than the PST that I know of. May be able to get two AER kits and use the PST parts to convert the AER kit to a 152. I have built the AER SU-100 and it's a nice kit.

Trumpeter is just starting 1.72 scale so their product line is limited so far.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:28 AM UTC
If you do a quick forum search using "PST" and my user name, you will come up with a half dozen previous conversations regarding the PST kits. Here is one of the later threads that occurred at the beginning of the month: 1/72 scale quality.

I've bought all but one of mine from Alanger USA which is fairly local to where I live, Great online service and price (two day delivery because of closeness). Not as good as Revell kits, but they only have three Soviet vehicles: two T-80s and a T-34/85. I like PST kits.
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you do a quick forum search using "PST" and my user name, you will come up with a half dozen previous conversations regarding the PST kits.

Sabot - how have you been getting on with your PST KV-1E..?
I've got one on the table ready to start over the weekend - any advice I can have please?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
The kit is going together fairly well. The bolt on armor is really thick though. Sand it from the back side so it is not so thick. Use caution when doing this to the turret armor. That stuff has to fit around the turret perimeter and if you shave down the sides too much, they will make the frontal turret armor look too wide for the turret.

My road wheels needed some clean up on the face. The detail is crisp but there is some miniscule flash that sits about the holes in the road wheel detail.
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:03 PM UTC
Wolf-Leader,

I personally love the PST kits, the molding is pretty crisp and I have never really had any problems with the kits. The only thing negative I have to say about them is that the road wheels always need some sanding, but that is mostly in thier earlier kits. Lately have noticed no such problems on thier more recent releases. I have built the SU-152 and absolutely had no problem with it. Also, most PST kits seem to have "extra" parts so that you can build other versions of the vehicle, which is always a plus, yet they dont give you instructions as to where those parts go, but they are not that hard to figure out on your own. And the price is hard to beat, go ahead and purchase the kit and see for yourself. Hope you enjoy.
 _GOTOTOP