_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Dark Base Coat for T-34
dombrowb
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi I am getting ready to paint my Dragon T-34/76 1942 model. I will be using the Mission Models Russian Dark Olive to paint it. I would like to apply a dark base coat first before applying the dark olive.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might use for the dark base coat?

Thanks,

Brian
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 07:29 AM UTC
Brian,

I've built a lot of Russian and American WW 2 AFV's over the last year, and I have been experimenting with different primer/base colors. I have found that the Stynylrez Primer from Badger Air-Brush Co. works the best. I typically use the white, black, and gray offerings on a single afv to create the pre-shaded base layer. They do make an OD Green Stynylrez Primer, however, I have never used it. I think the black and gray together create a perfect base layer.

The Stynylrez can be ordered on Amazon and is easy to work with.

I can't recommend it enough.

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi; Brian.

I used to subscribe to the theory of painting all my vehicles Flat Black for the primer and then Flat White for the shadows; But this system I seldom use anymore, I have found that depending on the kits plastic color and using the New Vallejo Colors the need for A primer is almost not necessary ! If you are in to the Color moderation method, A shadow coat does not draw much attention to the look of vehicle. Now if you are building A subject that has not been in the field for A long period of time or factory fresh then A Shadow coat will work !!! Now you are going to get many arguments on this; So it all comes down to, What Ever works best For You !!!!

CHEERS; MIKE.
dombrowb
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hi Shawn,

My local hobby shop recommended that I use the Stynylrez Primer to prime my models. I have used it to prime T-34. I absolutely love it! Like you said, it is an excellent primer and easy to use.

I will consider it for my T-34.

Thanks,

Brian
 _GOTOTOP