_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Desperate Defense
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 01:33 PM UTC

These are the figures from the Dragon set "Desperate Defense." They aren't quite done - I'm waiting for some snow products. I'll post again once I have the bases covered in snow. As usual, my photographing ability leaves a lot to be desired. I put them on round bases. My background is wargaming and that's just what you do with figures. Not that I will ever game with these, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them other than paint them.

Now that these figures are done, I absolutely love them. When I was putting them together, I did not. There was a LOT of filling and sanding to get them to come out well. The overall fit seemed pretty good, but there were significant gaps. Some of them were covered up by the equipment that went on but not all.

These are gen2 dragon figures. I'm not terribly keen on the generic parts for the figures. The gas mask and mess kit are *kind* of fine because they are rigid and just get stuck on top of other things. But the ammo pouches in particular, pistol holsters, breadbags, things that should conform more closely to the body, leave something to be desired.

This last photo seems to be the most accurate in terms of colors. I didn't do much to it to make it lighter. Painting these were a lot of fun. Like I said before, my background is wargaming, and I've painted 1000s of smaller scale (mostly 28mm which is around 1/50ish), and the techniques on those don't really work on these. The guys laying on the ground have about three different paint jobs on them. Doing them like 28s the contrast was really garish, and it took me a couple of passes to get it toned down. Having adjusted some, I find these easy and fun to paint. Doing splinter camo in this scale is enjoyable!

I'll post more pictures when I get the snow stuff down on them, and I'll figure out if I can take some better pics next time around.

Regards,
Phil
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 02:43 PM UTC
Phil,

Nice work. I am not experienced with gen2 dragon figures - generic parts? I take it that these are parts that are not sculpted to fit exactly on a specific area of a particular figure?

Quoted Text

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them other than paint them.

Nothing wrong with that!

Show is some more?
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Phil,

Nice work. I am not experienced with gen2 dragon figures - generic parts? I take it that these are parts that are not sculpted to fit exactly on a specific area of a particular figure?

Exactly. The figures usually had a place where they intended the generic part to go, but they don't really fit.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them other than paint them.

Nothing wrong with that!

Show is some more?

Thanks. I'm eyeing some more sets. I wish there were more Soviet figs with "action poses." I'm planning to get all the mini-art tank rider sets when they are available in the States.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 03:42 AM UTC
The problem with Dragon's personal equipment is that they are all molded the same identically. You will usually have to carve out (or file down) part of a body so that the bread bag will fit snugly to the body, instead of just sitting off on the high points of the uniform. Then you also have to file a depression for the water bottle to fit against the bread bag realistically, when worn correctly. This is especially true, and annoying, when fitting ammo pouches to belts when they should flatten folds in the uniform. I've noticed that Masterbox usually (at least sometimes) makes custom-fitted equipment for each figure so that everything sits correctly.
 _GOTOTOP