_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-55 Enigma. — which T-55 would be the best ?
MB6400
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi all,

Some time ago I bought an Iraqi Enigma armour conversion set for the Standard Tamiya T-55 which I “found” again when going through my stash and thought it would be nice to start this project.

The standard T-55 from Tamiya which I had, is used in the mean time for another project. Since than Tamiya released their T-55 Enigma and Miniart has released many different versions of the T-55.

So my question is which T-55 would you choose for the project (and why) ?
And in case of the Miniart, which of the many releases would be the correct version ?

Thanks in advance for you help

Marc
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 09:49 PM UTC
I can't help with the best but I can tell you the Tamiya model is not the one you're looking for.

The T-55 Enigma has been built from various types including Russian production and Czech production tanks. So Tamiya is not good for any kind of Enigma unless you want to out some extra work to fix the engine deck.

When I built mine, I used the Tamiya kit which was the only one at the time and the Accurate Armour conversion. I modified the engine deck so it could like a Russian tank and I changed the TC hatch to match the reference pictures I had.

Olivier
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi Marc,

You could always use your expensive aftermarket set on the Tamiya Enigma to really do it up, like Oliver said though, you would need to tweak the rear engine hatches. The enigma’s were also built on the polish built version’s of the T55.

Miniart T55’s are very nice, very fiddly & can have a very high parts count & lots of sub assemblies, but you can also get them with interiors. It really depends on if you are doing a specific one, or just a generic one?

HTH
Mike
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 12:14 AM UTC
Oliver already explained the possibilities.
Here are two walkarounds of the Enigma.

France, Soviet built T-55:
https://www.primeportal.net/tanks/jean_thomas_rembert/t-55_enigma/

UK, Czech built T-55:
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/carl_dennis/t-55a_enigma/

There weren't a lot of them, and they were mostly seen during the battles in Al Khafji:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khafji

I'd have a look on Ebay, and see what Miniart kit you can get for the best price.

MB6400
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thanks all for the quick response.

I was not aware of so many variants on which the Enigma was bases on. Since I was not aware of this, I was going for a more generic one.

Based on your feedback, Miniart it is. ;-)

So looking at the Miniart website, I. could go for the Czech build (37074) but next to this I see versions called Mod. 1965, Mod. 1981 some of them with and some without interior.
Any suggestions on which of the “Mod” versions would also be a correct candidate ?

...... an interior is a nice option though
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 02:36 AM UTC
I'd opt between 37074 and a T-55 model 1963 Soviet made.
https://miniart-models.com/products/37018-t-55-mod-1963-interior-kit/
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi;

There is No reason why not the Tamiya kit can't be used ! The Enigmas were built and used on even A Chinese T-54 Hull with A Different turret, Of the 11 enigmas that Iraq built, the Two examples that were investigated and had pictures taken the most, one was A Soviet T-55 that had Iraqi added features from other T-55s ! The one vehicle that was Photo'd the most is the example that had all of the tag's !! There were Two Enigmas that were captured around Kafji that were left in running order and were sent out of country for technical evaluation !!

CHEERS; MIKE.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi All.

AFAIK the Enigma that is at the Tank Museum in Bovington England is built on a Polish built version. This is the one that was tagged all over.

Mike
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oliver already explained the possibilities.
Here are two walkarounds of the Enigma.

France, Czech built T-55:
https://www.primeportal.net/tanks/jean_thomas_rembert/t-55_enigma/

This tank is preserved in Mourmelon military camp. It is a Russian one. Have a look to a wading rail around the engine deck.

Mike, the problem with Tamiya kit is the engine deck which is not correct for any of the usual producers (Russia, Poland and Czechoslovakia).

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP