_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Static Grass Tufts challenge
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2020 - 04:01 AM UTC
Greetings fellow diorama builders. I have never been very good with static grass. I just can’t seem to get it up (if you know what I mean). So, I’ve resorted to ready-made tufts. But even there I have an issue. All too often the colors are too bright, and uniform.

How do you color them so they look more real? Paint them, or dye them? Brush or airbrush? Before or after installation?

I just can’s find a method that I’m happy with.
Thanks
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2020 - 04:39 AM UTC
After your tufts are finished you can just airbrush the tips of them with lighter green (or yellow/green) by airbrush.
BTW: are you using a static grass applicator well grounded to the base? I wet the entire surface of the base to conduct the current from applicator to ground over all. Excess static grass will just blow off areas that didn't have glue. After applying static grass pass over the area a second time with the applicator turned on - that should make the grass rise!
One way of making your own tufts is making various sized blobs of white glue on a piece of Saran Wrap (or similar), and applying static grass to them (by static grass applicator). When everything is well dried and set up, you can peel the tufts off Saran backing. Ta-Da! Home-made tufts!
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2020 - 05:27 AM UTC
I never used static grass but this video seems to be a great place to learn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9doHdoBpcZ0
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2020 - 06:32 AM UTC

Probably depends on what the tufts look like. I used late summer colors usually and dry brush them after they are glued down with an ochre color.
 _GOTOTOP