Sherman/FL10 track types
ufopete
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi,

Dragon gives T48 tracks with its Egyptian Sherman (3570) kit, but I did not find any photo of any Sherman/FL10 with these tracks fitted, so I’m looking for a suitable replacement.
Looking at the archive photos and recent museum walkarounds, it seems that Egyptians used T51 and T54 tracks exclusively. During my research I found an old war movie called Uccidete Rommel which was filmed in Egypt and it features at least 5 different examples of Sherman/FL10 hybrids.
Here are my observations from that movie:
- Vehicle on Pic1 has T62 spare tracks.
- Pic2 vehicle (not the same as on Pic1)also has T62 spare tracks, but running on T54E2 tracks.
- Pic3 vehicle has T54E1 spare track but has T54E2 tracks fitted.
- There are no other close shots to capture detailed features of the other tanks, but it seems to me that all tanks running on T54E1 or E2 tracks.
So, my question is: Do I seriously compromise the accuracy of my model If I use T62 tracks?
Presence of T62 spare tracks on at least two of those vehicles made me think that the tanks in question might have been fitted with the same kind of tracks earlier. The movie was made in 1969, when – I suppose – those old tanks had newer set of tracks and the T54 was the usual post-war replacement. In addition, T62 track was fairy common for the M4A4 in WWII, so why didn’t the Egypitans retain their original tracks after the turret conversion?
All-in-all, these are just speculations, but what’s your opinion?

_GOTOTOP