_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Bridge Diorama Pt2
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
Got the base secured, rocks fixed in place, and plastered, and now beginning to place grass etc. Comments welcome.

Vinnie
medic23
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC
WOW very nice. good job.

Zach
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC
It looks really great!!This is an amazing dio so far!Congrats!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC
Nice nice progression. Looking very good. I like the way you embedded the rocks in the ground, that can be missed sometimes.
The base color for the water is dead on.
The base color for high bank up along the bridge is a smidge green for my tastes, if you are planning full coverage then it wont really matter. It's also a preference/style thing so it's your call in the end.
The wash for the mortar seams in the bridge are a bit black. I would try to tone them down a bit with maybe a burn umber or dark brown wash in the creases themselves.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:01 PM UTC
What a beautiful piece of work. Doesn't look as if you took a day of modeling friend.

Cheers
HastyP
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 04:54 PM UTC
I really like this one a lot. What vehicles are you planning to put on it? Keep us posted. Cheers Kevin
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:54 PM UTC
very nice work Vinnie..plz keep up posted ..congrats
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 08:04 PM UTC
Smart stuff Vinnie. I wouldn't worry about the dark mortar seams. When there is smoke/exhaust fumes/ash etc around the mortar sometimes seems to absorb this faster than the more solid stone - if the bridge was pale coloured sandstone then that would absorb faster than the mortar......also it provides a contrast and brings out the detail.
I'm looking forward to seeing this when finished!
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 08:45 PM UTC
Thanks everyone. So far I'm happy with the way this one is turning out. I've found a few new diorama products that I'm using that I don't think have been mentioned yet. full details when I post a feature on this in a few weeks. Dave, I understand what you mean but I think Scott is right on this one, originally I had planned to first introduce moss along the seams, matt the whole scene down and then apply a liberal dusting of Mig pigments to the cobbled roadway and all bridge seams, so this should take care of the 'starkness' of the black, I'll see how it goes!
Once again, thankyou for all your comments, I should have some more pics in a few days.

Vinnie
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The wash for the mortar seams in the bridge are a bit black. I would try to tone them down a bit with maybe a burn umber or dark brown wash in the creases themselves.

Quoted Text

I wouldn't worry about the dark mortar seams.

Quoted Text

Dave, I understand what you mean but I think Scott is right on this one,

Just on this point(s) first. In the last few projects I have built, I have tried to go to almost extremes with the intial shading and washes. I have a buff coloured vehicle and used a black wash first. Then I drybrushed buff again and after this I only use filters and pin washes of more suitable colours. The starkness is gone but the depth is there.
So depending on Vinnie´s painting methods, this shouldnt be a problem. Bridges are excellent weathering canvasses, as the colour variation on one single bridge is amazing.

About the cobblestones ... you seem to have used 3 sets ... have you cast an original? Where did the bridge and cobblestones come from? The look excellent.
So far Im very impressed. Looking great, with a lot of options. I wont comment on any painting in progress, because the modeller has usually something in their head.
Looking forward to the next installments
 _GOTOTOP