_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AT Gun Hauling Formation – Advice Needed
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 12:52 PM UTC
US M3A1 37mm Anti-Tank Gun

A little advice needed regarding the 37mm AT gun-hauling formation as seen in the following reference images borrowed from Wikipedia.

Does anyone have information on the webbing, cords, and connection method? — possibly carabiners attached at gun trail points?

Hauling Configuration:

GI's No. 1 and 4 (outboard) are pulling with haul straps attached to gun trail attachment loops.
GI's No. 2 and 3 (inboard) are pulling with gun trail grab-handles along with haul straps.
“S“ is the Squad Leader.

Note: Outward-facing tabs with holes located at the bottom of gun trails.

Thank's in advance!🍺
—mike
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 06:29 PM UTC
Some lean info here pg 34

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/FM/PDFs/FM23-75.pdf

Two men were assigned to towing the gun and had a harness. Additional soldiers would be assigned as needed. There was no info on how to hook up to the gun.

More info here with more detail on crew drill. pg24

https://archive.org/details/FM23-75_1944/page/n23/mode/2up
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 02:55 AM UTC
Steve, Thank’s for your very helpful feedback. The manuals helped to identify various components on the 37mm and gave me a better understanding of its operation in the field.📚

Cheers!🍺
—mike
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 04:58 AM UTC
Some pictures of the troops with the harness, now 4. pg 68

https://archive.org/details/FM23-70/page/n29/mode/2up

Some good detail pictures of the gun and carriage.

https://archive.org/details/1943TM9-1245/page/n9/mode/2up
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 05:03 AM UTC
Ouch. And I thought pulling an ahkio while on skis was bad...
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 10:17 AM UTC
Steve, That Page 68 image of the troops is a keeper! These references give me confidence to march my five franken-figures forward. 🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃 Thank's again!

Quoted Text

Robert, That sounds rough! And here I sit at my computer desk, complaining about my old-age ailments!... Ouch! 😖

—mike
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two stories about this:
First: We had an ensign as second in command of the supply group I trained with. He told us about their winter training when they were coming down a south facing slope on skis.
They all felt that the snow was slightly warmer at the bottom of the slope. Warmer snow = less glide so they all felt a retardation. The last guy down was the one pulling the akhio (Finnish spelling). He slowed down in that warmer section, the akhio didn't. It pushed him forwards so he fell flat on his face but the akhio didn't stop. It was heavily loaded so it ran him over. He had two tracks up the back of his snow cover (loose white jacket and trousers worn over the uniform).

Second: During my "winter training" we went skiing with an akhio (spelled ackja in Swedish), two or maybe three miles. An akhio can be pulled by two soldiers, one attached with the harness/bows, the other is pulling with a rope, actually two ropes hooked together like two U's. Anyhow, the guy pulling with ropes was starting to get an "upset" stomach (the runs basically, probably from getting cold or something). Going down a slope the ski track turned a corner followed by a straight section where they gathered some more speed and then across a ditch (small dip in the track). When going downhill the two akhio pullers get close and the rear man holds onto the front guy. In that dip the akhio somehow got stuck and pulled the rear guy onto his butt, the front guy continued with full speed for another 6 feet until the rope attached to his belt suddenly yanked him backwards. This was no godd at all for his upset stomach. I was the patrol leader for that half mile and had found a spot off the track for a break and some food. Suddenly I hear this distressed yell about TP and one guy comes skking towards like like greased lightning asking for TP and saying that he NEEDs an urgent break. I tell him "Fifty yards in that direction!" and off he goes to take care of business. When the others comes moseying around I tell them that it is time for a break and where we are going, then I hear "Holy effin-hell! What the heck! are you doing" when they find poor sod and the place where he has soiled the snow ... He was OK by evening after warming up and feasting on blueberry soup and lots of visits the the "mens room" ...
 _GOTOTOP