_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Some Tiger Detection Work
Khouli
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 11:01 PM UTC
Not modelling as such, but I have taken on the task of doing a little research on behalf of a friend.
His Grandfather took part in the action that knocked out this Tiger on the Dutch/German border during the advance into the Reich. As you can see from the citation, he was awarded a DCM.

I thought perhaps as there is a lot of knowledge amongst us, that you might be able to help flesh out the story.

What I’m trying to do is identify the German Unit and if possible, the tank itself from its turret numbers. If we can do this, then we can add to the Regimental History.

We have a location, a date and a Tiger, so maybe this isn’t too difficult to do? Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 12:16 AM UTC
I quote from the book "Tigers in Combat 1" :

21.01.45 2 Tigers are knocked out in WALDFEUCHT by six-pounders. 6 further TIGERS support the struggle around the town but have to withdraw later.

The unit is Panzerabteilung (Fkl) 301 . They had been battling Shermans in that sector for weeks. Their tanks were used Tigers taken from other units that had upgraded to the Tiger II.

The photo that you posted is well known. There's another good photo too.

You speak of the Tiger's turret number but I don't see one.

David
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 02:36 AM UTC
Did a 6 lb'er actually "destroy" a Tiger l, or just disable it enough (shooting off a track, or drive gear) to force the crew to abandon it? I know Wittmann's Tiger (and others) was disabled in this way.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 03:22 AM UTC

I'm not sure this is the additional pic David is referring to, but I found this online:

http://overlord-wot.blogspot.com/2019_01_06_archive.html
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did a 6 lb'er actually "destroy" a Tiger l, or just disable it enough (shooting off a track, or drive gear) to force the crew to abandon it? I know Wittmann's Tiger (and others) was disabled in this way.

Six-pounders could pentrate the side armor of the Tiger if the angle was favorable. Many of the Tigers knocked out in North Africa fell victim to six-pounders. When Tigers attacked, as opposed to remaining in static ambush positions, they risked exposure of their thinner side and rear armor.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 02:32 PM UTC
From the late date of the incident and the aggressive advance of the Tigers, I suspect they were lucky enough to be facing a poorly trained crew who didn't know how to effectively use their tanks.
Khouli
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 08:41 PM UTC
The turret numbers are less than clear. In fact, it looks like they have been painted over. Or am I missing something?
 _GOTOTOP