_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
7th Armored AoS
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 11:58 PM UTC
Working on a Bronco A9 Cruiser. Planning on using the caunter scheme. Markings with the kit are the usual 7th Rat. AoS is green with white 30. Time frame is Derna, Operation Crusader. What regt? 22nd Armored Brigade attached to the 7th? From what I read the AoS were changed more often than underware in North Africa. Also, going to be working on an A10 in Greece. Near as I can figure the tanks routed there were slated for Sudan and had a Sudan version of the caunter scheme (Portland / lt purple brown.) Some sources say they were repainted before shipping to Greece. Any thoughts on this?
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 01:38 AM UTC
Tim,

As I understand it the constituent brigades of 7th Armoured Division at the time of Op Crusader were 4th Armd, 7th Armd, and 22 Armd.

4th had been re-equipped with Honeys; 7th had also re-equipped with Crusaders but still had some A10s and A13s amongst its component regiments: 7th Hussars, 2nd and 6th Royal Tank Regiments.

22 Bde had completely re-equipped with Crusaders.

So to justify an A9 at Operation Crusader we have to assume I think, that it would be amongst 7th Armoured Brigade's units as listed above.

As a white "30" on a green square would indicate the junior armoured regiment of 7th Armoured Brigade I deduce that the unit concerned would be 6 Royal Tank Regiment.

'Hope all this helps unravel some of it all; I'm afraid I can't help with the Grecian venture - the above gave me enough of a migraine!

Brian
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 02:03 PM UTC
First, apologies to admin for the duplicate post .My puter lost it's connection while posting and somehow double tapped. Oops. Thanks, Brian. Sounds like Bronco is playing fast and loose with colors/markings. Best info I found shows the 7th's organization for Nov. 41. Shows 7th AB with green AoS, with 7th Hussars (65), 2RTR (68) and 6RTR (83) So, green and junior regt. works for 6RTR. But the A9 doesn't seem right. Back to google. Now lets see how many times this gets posted.
 _GOTOTOP