_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4 HST by Hobby Boss
PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 11:47 PM UTC
Hi all,
Building my M4 HST (155 mm) I noticed that on the rear wall of the Ammo Box, not only the tiedowns sit higher than those on the side walls (to be replaced anyway), but that the "V" on the hatch doesn't reach up to the top. And it can't be just extended because its upper ends are too far apart. Any suggestions for a correction?
As Eduard have discontinued their PE set for this kit, I'm also at a loss regarding the crane lock - can anyone steer me to a detail photo that would allow a scratchbuild? And speaking of the crane: There's this "Lock Pin" molded to the lower left of the hatch that I'd like to put into action, if only I knew what action that was.
Thanks in advance,
Peter
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
Building my M4 HST (155 mm) I noticed that on the rear wall of the Ammo Box, not only the tiedowns sit higher than those on the side walls (to be replaced anyway), but that the "V" on the hatch doesn't reach up to the top. And it can't be just extended because its upper ends are too far apart. Any suggestions for a correction?.

Can you remove the V altogether and replace it with plastic angle stock of the correct form?

KL
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Eduard have discontinued their PE set for this kit, I'm also at a loss regarding the crane lock

You can still find the instructions in PDF format :

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/36072.pdf

H.P.
abelynn
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 12:28 PM UTC
It's a pretty easy addition - I scratchbuilt the rear box with an opening gate when rebuilding the old Nitto kit (long before the HobbyBoss kit came out):

Abe

PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 04:11 AM UTC
Thanks all!

Henri-Pierre: The Eduard drawings aren't explicit enough for my progressing AMS ...

Kurt, Abe: Seems like I have to go that route, sigh.

Does anyone know where that crane lock is inserted to lock how?

PS for all who still have to build their HB kit: The instructions don't mention part C54, but it's a bending aid for the headlight guards.

Peter
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I have the TM and SNL at home but I'm not following what part you are talking about. Can you give more description or a photo?

KL
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 05:03 AM UTC
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks all!

[...]

PS for all who still have to build their HB kit: The instructions don't mention part C54, but it's a bending aid for the headlight guards.

Peter

Thanks for the info with that bending aid... I'm also just building mine but still being busy with the lower hull...

Unfortunately the TM issue on the HSTs (M4/M5/M6) doesn't go into detail concerning the crane lock and the pictures provided aren't that great either...

But I was lucky enough to get an Eduard set back in the day when this kit was added to my stash... let me have a look and maybe I can jump ahead in my build, assemble it and post some detail pics here... just give me a few days if you will...

guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 05:37 AM UTC
A quick search brought up a few sources where you can still order it... they're a bit pricey, though. But if you really want to have the upgrade set, it's possible to get it:

https://www.mn-modelar.com/1-35-m-4-tractor-155-240mm-2/

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Eduard-1-35-M4-Tractor-155-240mm-Detail-Hobby-Boss-36072/303597615920?epid=1172543676&hash=item46afd3fb30:g:frQAAOSwr6deV1TV
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 05:56 AM UTC
What about this one Peter ?

H.P.
PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 07:26 AM UTC
YEAH, Henri-Pierre, THAT'S IT! Fantastic, thank you.

Kurt: The "Crane Lock" is what you can see in Frenchy's picture, positioned to the right of the hatch.

Guni-Kid: Thanks for the links, but I've bought the PART PE kit. Which is less than ideal right away as it is for the M4 with the small-caliber ammo box (hence my problems with the crane lock). What I liked a lot, though, is that my set included a second sample of the main brass sheet which wasn't etched perfectly and thus unsalable. Wish all PE producers would dispose of their scrap this way!

Peter
 _GOTOTOP