_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stryker Mods
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 01:11 AM UTC
So, there seem to be a lot of upgrades going on to the Stryker family of American wheeled AFV's. The big air conditioner on the gun Stryker, bigger fuel tanks, and extended fuel can holders, among others. Are these mods being modeled by any companies for sale? I would love to put some of those big AC units on my gun Strykers but they're outside of my limited scratch ability. I have several Black Dog and Legends stowage kits and one of the LAVIII kits has the extended fuel can holders but I want more!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 06:56 AM UTC
First, someone has to get close to Strykers and take pics and measurements. Hard to get these days, even without COVID19. Then some one other has to make masters or 3D drawings of the A/C unit.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 09:38 AM UTC
I'm sending him my Stryker Walk around as I type this. I paid particular attention to the A/C unit on the MGS. Some of the PE from the MENG Bradley A/C Unit is useful for a scratch build as I did one several years ago. Can't throw perfectly good parts away...
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 12:17 AM UTC
So I got 18Bravo's walkaround yesterday - I seriously didn't know what I was missing there. Great photos, great cost, and great service. I started going thru them last night and I'll go thru more tonight - worth every penny.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 04:51 AM UTC
I made my A/C unit from Evergreen strips, 30mm long, 7mm deep and 22 mm high.

@ Robert Skipper

Do you know whats the purpose of the two rectangular boxes behind the commanders hatch?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 06:26 AM UTC
Real model do several sets including THIS one which includes the DEK, TFSS and MEK in one set with other stuff, all also available separately. Can't remember who but someone else also does some of these mods.
I've not found any one doing the A/C though.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Real model do several sets including THIS one which includes the DEK, TFSS and MEK in one set with other stuff, all also available separately. Can't remember who but someone else also does some of these mods.
I've not found any one doing the A/C though.

Blast Models DEK kit is easier to work with.

https://www.blast-models.eu/fr/moderne/1466-bl35369k-stryker-dek-driver-enhancement-kit.html

What do you mean with "bigger fuel tanks"? Never saw anything like this on legacy Strykers.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have several Black Dog and Legends stowage kits and one of the LAVIII kits has the extended fuel can holders but I want more!

I don`t think that Black Dog`s parts are accurate. They are having a reputation of "making something that looks like...".
Their Ranger Landrover update set is pure crap.
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 09:10 AM UTC
I really wish I'd saved the photograph because I can't find it now, but I saw a picture of a Stryker that had not only the 4-can racks on the back (that Legend includes in their LAV III set) but the fuel tanks themselves were larger - longer and taller - than in the kits. Both mods were on the same vehicle and I'm having no joy hunting the pictures down on Google now.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 02:29 PM UTC
Didn´t you confuse a Legacy Stryker with a Double-V hull version?
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 04:31 AM UTC
It's very possible it was a Double-V Stryker that I saw; alas that I cannot find the photograph.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I got 18Bravo's walkaround yesterday - I seriously didn't know what I was missing there. Great photos, great cost, and great service. I started going thru them last night and I'll go thru more tonight - worth every penny.

Thanks for the comments. I'm always happy when people are satisfied with these walk arounds.

H-H: Two things - I just now read your reply. I'll check my photos when I get home to see what you are talking about. And I sent Lee and another gentleman yet more photos yesterday that were double V hull specific. Always adding photos - that puts this at over 1100 photos. In Lee's defense, the double V hull variants are no different from the waist up, so if you're not looking at the lower hull you might miss it.

MfG
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 04:33 AM UTC
@ Lee,
you should be aware the the Stryker family went tru a lot of changes in the last 15 years. Even if you build the A/C unit for MGS, some minor detail changes have to be done. Best is start researching before you build.
A selection of pics can be seen here.

https://www.dvidshub.net/search?q=M1128+MGS&view=grid
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I made my A/C unit from Evergreen strips, 30mm long, 7mm deep and 22 mm high.

@ Robert Skipper

Do you know whats the purpose of the two rectangular boxes behind the commanders hatch?

Those appear to me to be power inverters to me. Just an educated guess. There are black and red cables feeding into them, and a shielded cable coming out. There are also ports labeled "supply" and "return."

I'm at the Stryker refit facility at JBLM almost every year. Those A/C units haven't changed a bit since I first photographed them. Other things may, but they haven't.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Rob,
I am referring to the reposition of the tool mount on the hull top and the extra camera on the left side of the gun housing. Not to mention the massive TAGS gunshield and the modified m.g. skate ring compared with the kit provided mount by AFV Club.
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 02:11 AM UTC
There's more in Rob's walkaround that I'm finding - the new driver's windshield assembly is bigger than the old one - where the old one was under the hatch, the new one is around the hatch so the hatch can be closed behind it. There's a camera (I think) on top of it too. And I don't think AFV Club included the gun shields on the MG mount on the gun Stryker, though I can't be certain. So many interesting upgrades!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 06:23 AM UTC
H-H: As Lee says, there are a lot of details I don't list simply because it would take too long. You asked about those boxes which I still believe to be inverters, but yes- all of those other things you mentioned are quite thoroughly photographed as well, from every conceivable angle.

MfG
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's more in Rob's walkaround that I'm finding - the new driver's windshield assembly is bigger than the old one - where the old one was under the hatch, the new one is around the hatch so the hatch can be closed behind it. There's a camera (I think) on top of it too. And I don't think AFV Club included the gun shields on the MG mount on the gun Stryker, though I can't be certain. So many interesting upgrades!

Hi Lee,
answer is simple, AFV cLub kit is old, about 2008 or 2009. TAGS was fielded later. Eduard did an OOP PE set that contains some of the stuff mentioned.

https://www.eduard.com/index.php?stoken=C57B52B1&lang=1¤cy=0&cl=search&listorderby=oxarticles.oxactivefrom&listorder=desc&sendSearchForm=1&searchparam=M-1128
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 12:21 AM UTC
According to the Wings & Wheels Stryker MGS book, the two black boxes that say No Step are some sort of anti-IED devices.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 12:22 PM UTC
H-H, that skate rail for the MG is just to thinly represented in PE. There's a great trick for doing the teeth uniformly on a scratch built one.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 04:30 PM UTC
Rob, I made mine thicker by glueing two rails together, of course need two PE sets.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 04:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

According to the Wings & Wheels Stryker MGS book, the two black boxes that say No Step are some sort of anti-IED devices.

They are perhaps for DUKE counter IED device.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 12:18 AM UTC
They can be part of the system, but I still believe them to be power inverters or power supplies of some sort for it. SF GMV's have similar inverters mounted to the underside of the roof for their ECM equipment.
 _GOTOTOP