_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Another Mission Models Paint Question
dombrowb
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hi,

I have been trying to airbrush the Mission Models Russian Dark Olive onto a T-34 I'm working on with mixed results. I have applied several coats with some of them being translucent.

The biggest issue though is that the paint seems to come off/scratch off easily.

I really like the fact that the paint when applied is flat, although it has been frustrating getting the coverage I would like. Am wondering if there is anyone out there that has had the same issues and if so, how did they fix them?

Thanks,

Brian
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 - 07:32 AM UTC
Surface prep is an absolute with any acrylic paint. If you have not cleaned it thoroughly, it's going to come off. I really like the mission model line and use the polyurethane additive to thin or make it a bit tougher. You should also be using a primer with it. The Mission Models Primer is polyurethane based and works very well....IF you prepare the surface.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 - 03:24 PM UTC
I have used this paint and if it's translucent then you are over thinning. Read and follow the directions as it states this very same issue. I used it not long ago and polished the paint using 3,000 grit pad and it was bullet proof. Use their thinner and poly additive at the recommended ratio for excellent results.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2020 - 05:40 PM UTC
What are you thinning it with? Did you clean the surface of the tank before you painted? I'll give it a gentle scrub with IPA before I prime or paint, gets rid of oil from handling it during the build. And did you prime before hand?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC
Ah, scrubbing your kit with beer!
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts