_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Custom decals in 1/35.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 01:39 PM UTC
I’d like to make some decals in 1/35 for a project I have in mind, are there any tips and pitfalls I need to be aware of, please. Also, is there any particular program I need to do this? Or is it “simply” a matter of printing on decal paper with an inkjet printer?
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 02:26 PM UTC
Hi Kylie

There’s always the DIY option although unless you’ve got (or can borrow) some serious soft-/hardware you might not get enough resolution for your purposes. I can recommend Custom Hobby Decals (Geoff Langridge in Queensland) – he printed all my waterslide Anthropoid tram numbers (p26 of that project) from a very basic MS Paint file which I made from Word fonts. I test-printed until I got exactly the right size so he could print actual size.

http://customhobbydecals.com/

Geoff provided great advice, mainly what I sent him was diabolical & I should invest in a better graphics program, and quite right too. But even so after a couple of trials he turned sow’s ears into silk purses as far as I was concerned, and at reasonable rates. I’m not sure about mail flights between Oz & NZ though, might take a while? (PS I have no connection with CHD other than the above order)
gharker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 03:05 PM UTC
I just got my first order from http://customhobbydecals.com/ today. It was a set of markings for the A7V. I have not tried them yet but they look good.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 05:25 PM UTC
Thank you, gents; just the advice I was looking for. I’ll be sure to mention where I heard about custom hobby decals if asked, or I have the opportunity.
 _GOTOTOP