_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
“saving” SKP Lenses?
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 10:47 AM UTC
On the very off-chance that somebody has come up with something, does anyone know of a technique to restore “clear” SKP lenses if they’ve yellowed? I’ve been cataloging my stash, putting it all into Scalemates so I can start selling a bunch of stuff off, and so far must have looked at 50+ sets of these lenses, and I’ve found a grand total of *one* set where the clear lenses haven’t “gone bad”. Now these haven’t been in bright light, they’ve been in kit boxes inside closets.

While I doubt there’s any way to fix the yellowed lens, I’m wondering if anybody has managed to get the epoxy (or whatever the lens “glass” is made of) off the PE backing so I can use a new, non-yellowing material (must exist, all my MV lenses are just fine) to replace it.

Anybody tried this? I figure if it can’t be fixed I’ll go with MV lenses for the clear ones, even if they’re a bit too “bright”, and I can still use the colored ones.

Have to say I’m very disappointed in SKP - you’d think they’d have made some effort to use something that stayed clear - It doesn’t seem to matter if I got the set a decade ago, or just 2-3 years. Still, at least these didn’t end up spoiling built models.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 11:27 AM UTC
Try using the same technique that is used for bleaching out old yellowed decals.

Stick them on a window that faces bright sunlight...the emitted UV may bleach
them out over a period of several days to 2 weeks...works great on decals.

If you manage to get the yellow out, give the lenses a good dip in FUTURE, that
may prevent them from going yellow again.

Good luck,
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

must exist, all my MV lenses are just fine

Interesting - most of my MV lenses yellowed...
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 06:44 PM UTC
Maybe the method used to fix old yellowed Lego bricks would work (although they are made of ABS, not resin) - they have to be submerged in a hydrogen peroxide solution while being exposed to UV (strong sunlight or UV lamp) for a few hours. The UV itself does not work for Lego (or actually it works, but in opposite way - it causes yellowing...).
 _GOTOTOP