_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
New Tamiya KV1
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 03:22 PM UTC
I see the new Tamiya KV1 is in at scalehobbiest. Anyone able to compare it to trumpeters KV1's.
MrNeil
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 02:52 AM UTC
Greg,

Piecing together the various features in the Tamiya kit, it represents an Oct/Nov 1941 production example with a very early 90mm-armored welded turret, ZIS-5 gun, Model 1941 (75mm armored) hull and two-part cast road wheels.

I've put my notes up on 4bogreen.com here
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Piecing together the various features in the Tamiya kit, it represents an Oct/Nov 1941 production example with a very early 90mm-armored welded turret, ZIS-5 gun, Model 1941 (75mm armored) hull and two-part cast road wheels.

Neil - Are the fenders the correct length and width? I'm hoping that the inevitable PE fenders and tool boxes that will be made for this kit can be used on the Trumpeter kits instead of the incorrect or hard to find PE sets from 15 years ago.

KL
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 01:46 AM UTC
Here is a build up-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTM_ZcKe1_g
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greg,

Neil,

Solid review,

Wouldn't these all have had the welded armored ring around the rear turret mg?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 09:36 AM UTC
So adding a cylindrical tank and a third tool box would be commonly found on this model.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So adding a cylindrical tank and a third tool box would be commonly found on this model.

And these:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/YETCLN2JZ/kv-1-chkz-armour-ring-2-pcs?optionId=145165031&li=marketplace
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And these:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/YETCLN2JZ/kv-1-chkz-armour-ring-2-pcs?optionId=145165031&li=marketplace

I don't think it has been established that this turret - which Neil states is novel - has that feature, has it? The turrets with the reinforcing ring were all previously identified types (as I recall from previous discussions, which were rather disjointed . . .)

KL
MrNeil
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Kurt, I neglected to go measure the fenders. I'll do so and add that to the notes on 4bogreen.

Neil - Are the fenders the correct length and width? I'm hoping that the inevitable PE fenders and tool boxes that will be made for this kit can be used on the Trumpeter kits instead of the incorrect or hard to find PE sets from 15 years ago.

KL

MrNeil
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And these:

I don't think it has been established that this turret - which Neil states is novel - has that feature, has it? The turrets with the reinforcing ring were all previously identified types (as I recall from previous discussions, which were rather disjointed . . .)

KL

The photos of the vehicle in Tamiya's box art do not show the turret rear face. However, the only turrets I've seen with the anti-splash bars under the side-facing periscopes but without the cutout in the upper edge of the turret side plates, have that armored ring around the rear-facing MG. Since I don't know for sure either way wrt the Tamiya turret, I didn't mention it as a fault or not. However, I'm tempted to add the ring to my build just because
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 06:12 AM UTC
Neil,

If the rear turret mg on the Tamiya kit is the same size as the Trumpeter kit, it should fit.
If not, contact the designer, and ask if he can design a Tamiya variant. Eelke is a great guy to work with.
rockhoundnms
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 06:52 AM UTC
There is a tank in an outdoor museum in Russia with the features of the turret in the Tamiya kit. It has no armor ring around the rear mg and splash guards on the side facing periscopes. This may be the basis for what Tamiya decided to go with in regards to the turret.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 10:44 AM UTC
I just finished this kit today!

I'm no KV-1 expert though. It fell together and was completely built in a matter of hours.

The only thing that bothered me were the radiator cold air intakes, which are just molded over plastic with a texture depicting the mesh wire guards.

That area should have been hollowed out with P/E screens on top, but this is how Tamiya does things.

It's a lovely kit.

MrNeil
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a tank in an outdoor museum in Russia with the features of the turret in the Tamiya kit. It has no armor ring around the rear mg and splash guards on the side facing periscopes. This may be the basis for what Tamiya decided to go with in regards to the turret.

Interesting! Can you post a pic or a link to one?
 _GOTOTOP