_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
US Marine tankers Korean War
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a winter Marine tank crew in Korea for a Pershing. The few pictures that I have found seems like they wore a mix of clothing, pretty much whatever they could find to stay warm. and looks like WW2 leftovers.
I was wondering if US WW2 winter tank crew could be used in this
setting? There does not appear to be any Korean War Marine tankers figures that I can find.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Eric
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 01:52 PM UTC
You may find something here: http://www.defmodel.com/
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 03:19 PM UTC
Some still from a Documentary on the Battle of Chosin Reservoir. Maybe give you some help. Seems to be basic issue winter gear, probably padded out with more underneath.

Any WW2 figures would likely need heads replaced - you don't see many pics of the WW2 US Tanker helmet in use....
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 06:41 PM UTC
Also there is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-US-Marines-Korea-1950-51-Chosin-Reservoir-Korean-War-Series-kit-by-DML/143631797554?hash=item21711f4d32:g:zcYAAOSwUJNe5opa

But I thought the WW2 tanker's helmet was still used in the Korean War? Certainly in the earlier years when Pershings were still used?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 07:48 PM UTC
The helmet was used, but it didn't fit with the new cold weather head gear worn in Chosin.

The new headphones also made wearing the tanker helmet problematic.
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also there is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-US-Marines-Korea-1950-51-Chosin-Reservoir-Korean-War-Series-kit-by-DML/143631797554?hash=item21711f4d32:g:zcYAAOSwUJNe5opa

But I thought the WW2 tanker's helmet was still used in the Korean War? Certainly in the earlier years when Pershings were still used?

I actually got a set of these already coming in the mail, they are going to be the infantry figures in the diorama.

I have seen several photos of tankers wearing the ww2 style tank helmets in Shermans, Chaffee's and Pershings...seems like they really were gone by the time of the first M46's arriving in country.

Thank you.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 11:19 PM UTC
Ironically, I'm trying to find tanker figures for my Pershing tank, but summer ones. And it's damn impossible to find summer tanker figures other than for Vietnam.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ironically, I'm trying to find tanker figures for my Pershing tank, but summer ones. And it's damn impossible to find summer tanker figures other than for Vietnam.

Damn impossible ?

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/ac-models-news.110001/

H.P.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen several photos of tankers wearing the ww2 style tank helmets in Shermans, Chaffee's and Pershings...seems like they really were gone by the time of the first M46's arriving in country.

Thank you.

There were new radio and intercom sets issued along with the M46 that at first were incompatible with the old tanker's helmet. So some units adapted it to the helmet and others went to other headgear.

I have seen all kinds of pictures of tank crews in the 1950s.

Miniart makes US tankers that are in summer uniforms. Two are in HBTs that with a slight mod to the breast pocket become US Marines 1950.

Excepting tropical uniforms the actual cut and fit of US uniforms did not change much from 1945-1980. It was fabrication and color that changed. However the tropical uniforms are close to the 1950s combat uniform with its thigh pockets. It can even be modified into 1960s-70s greens with some work on the pockets.

If you're not willing to modify and improvise available figures to fit time periods where there little to no figures, then don't put crews in your model.

I've populated a pile of vehicles converted from available figures and if a builder like me can do a credible job anyone can.
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 03:34 AM UTC
I found this helmet described as Korean War issue. Made by Riddell.
QM1C. I have no idea how many were actually used in theater.

The parkas shown seem to be WW2 issue or close enough in design to make WW2 figures useable.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1524/1342/products/ONSV1829__07.jpg?v=1571454315
Simple64
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 12:52 PM UTC
AC Models do a Pershing crew. Not exactly cheap but look nice.
https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-ac-models-acm-35035-1:35-us-army-pershing-tank-crew-set-in-korea-2-full-and-2-half-figures

I think they do a set of infantry riding on the Pershing as well.

They are US Army so not sure if there is any difference in clothing.
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

AC Models do a Pershing crew. Not exactly cheap but look nice.
https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-ac-models-acm-35035-1:35-us-army-pershing-tank-crew-set-in-korea-2-full-and-2-half-figures

I think they do a set of infantry riding on the Pershing as well.

They are US Army so not sure if there is any difference in clothing.

The figures in the link are wearing flak vests. Definitely available in Korea. I don't think they were used in WW2 except for bomber crew.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you.

There were new radio and intercom sets issued along with the M46 that at first were incompatible with the old tanker's helmet. So some units adapted it to the helmet and others went to other headgear.

I have seen all kinds of pictures of tank crews in the 1950s.

Miniart makes US tankers that are in summer uniforms. Two are in HBTs that with a slight mod to the breast pocket become US Marines 1950.

Excepting tropical uniforms the actual cut and fit of US uniforms did not change much from 1945-1980. It was fabrication and color that changed. However the tropical uniforms are close to the 1950s combat uniform with its thigh pockets. It can even be modified into 1960s-70s greens with some work on the pockets.

If you're not willing to modify and improvise available figures to fit time periods where there little to no figures, then don't put crews in your model.

I've populated a pile of vehicles converted from available figures and if a builder like me can do a credible job anyone can.

Er, can you quote the part number? I'm looking for along the lines of T-shirts and open shirts, along the lines of the photographs I've seen ib summer 1950.
 _GOTOTOP