_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill Tank - Radio Antennae
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hi all,

Can anyone help me with information regarding radio antennae on WW2 British Churchill tanks?

Firstly, I am presuming that there will be three as there appears to be three mounting bases (see image below).

The middle base still needs the mount fitting.

Secondly, if three, would all be used or might it be an option of 1, 2, or 3 in use at any given point?

Thirdly, what length(s) would the antennae be, dimensions in either 1:1 or 1:35 would be great.

Hopefully someone can help, .

Cheers, ,

G
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 08:38 AM UTC
A Churchill would typically have two aerials for the No.19 radio - an 'A' aerial and a 'B' aerial. The 'A' aerial base is the conical base on the turret roof. The 'B' base is the small square plate with four bolt heads in the middle between the hatches.

Command vehicles might have more aerials but most tanks would have only two.

This should help you: http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/3819_WS19Mk1-Mk2-Mk3_Working_Instructions_Pt1.pdf

Regards,
John
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, and especially so in such a detailed fashion, it's much appreciated, .

I now have the information I need to add the radio antennae to my Churchill tank...and future British/Commonwealth AFVs.

Thanks again, and cheers,

G
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 06:37 AM UTC
That config looks to me like a late one, with the A set for the 19 on the left and the one on the right for a 38 set. The 38 was used for communication with infantry, quite helpful for an infantry tank.

I’m not entirely convinced by the shape of the conical bases, which are better done by other manufacturers in my opinion. Resicast makes some nice ones.
 _GOTOTOP