_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-44M of Miniart: problem with the road wheel
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi,
I'm building a model of T-44M of Miniart, a good model with an high, although not uniform, level of detail.
I have had a problem while testing the fit of the wheels: the symmetry plan of the road wheels was moved about 1,3 mm outside the symmetry plan of the extremity wheels.
This would mean that it was impossible to align the teeth of the tracks on one line.
I had modified the pieces, removing about 1 mm from the hub of the road wheels and moving outwards the extremity wheels of 0,2 mm, and now the problem is resolved and seems to compare well with the photos of the real thing.
The fact that the pins of all the wheels are microscopic didn't made things easier, but it is done.
Luckily I detected the problem before gluing the road wheels to the suspension arms.
Has anyone found the same problem? I don't think to have mounted the suspension arms wrong. How can such an error be justified?
brunocollin
Visit this Community
Gironde, France
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 - 11:58 PM UTC
Have this kit in my stash but not close to build it.
I'll check this problem.
Pongo_Arm
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 147 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 05:04 AM UTC
I do not think I have seen a build done on the M version. The M uses a different from of track and drive sprocket but the same road wheels. Wonder if they introduced an error when they upgraded or only used the T54 sprocket with out testing the results..Glad you spotted it in time.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 08:12 PM UTC
Glad to have been useful.
The correction has come out well and the model is close to being completed.
Anyway it is a bit difficult model, it could be good to say more of some difficulties.
The most complex thing is the mounting of the gun, a model in itself. A metal barrel could have been good, I have straightened the one of the kit but it is not perfect as geometry.
A lot of thin pieces are frail and can easily be broken during the cutting and cleaning process.
The space left for the thickness of the upper hull plate under the turret ring teeth is too small, they need to be removed and rebuilt in lower position to function and link the turret to the hull.
The support of the gunner's seat, fixed under the gun, is too long and the gunner's seat ends under the tank commander seat, it needs to be shortened of at least 3 mm.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:32 AM UTC
The model is end.
About the corrections, I would add to reduce the overdone casting texture and side weldings on the turret with sandpaper, and to replace the frail and exposed handles on the sides with brass wire.
A very slight increase of the inner diameter of the hull light frame could be necessary to install the lense inside.
The towing cables are injected: they are straight, rigid and frail, and have to be replaced with some copper trench or anything good to reproduce the rope.
The radio aerial is frail and has to be replaced with a metallic one.
The frail structure sustaining the gunner's seat has to be fixed under the gun only short before mounting the turret on the hull, because it is very frail and exposed to accidental damage.
The foldable butt of the coaxial machine gun is unikely in extended position inside the tank as described by the instructions, probably it has to be folded (or, to make things easier, omitted).
 _GOTOTOP