_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Primer color
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
I am getting ready to paint an Su85 and don't know the color the russians used for the primer color on this. Can any body help me with this information? thanks in advance. Cheers Kevin
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC
most of the russian tanks were a dark green, with out the camo added (camo on all sides of ww2 usually added by the crew to match their preferences) i know there is a model color out there, russian green, or soviet green, something like that made by model masters paint, but to be honest, the only color i've seen any russian tank is dark green w/ red letters and a russian political slogan written in white paint...hope this helps!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:47 AM UTC
I am about to start my 1/48 SU-85!

Somewhere I have a quote by Steve Zolaga that WWII Red Army AFV green can be closely matched by US olive drab. He gave an FS # too, I'll have to look.
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:32 AM UTC
hi all armour is primed in red lead or as some say red oxide ,this is to top it rusting , then it is given it's top coat of russian green and cammo was applied at the factory , and also in the field, by the tankers themselves. hope this helps cheers ian
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi, A lot of modelers use a flat black as a primer in order to bring out a 'shadow-type' of effect under the main color. Personally I've always like the automotive flat primer red, or light flat grey Sorry, as far as actual Russian primer color(s) go, I don't know, and am not even sure I've ever heard of what it may have been. The Russians were sort of a law unto themselves, so they may not have even used any at all, just the green top coat. I think you could pretty much go with about anything reasonable as your primer here and get away with it, unless you are building something that you want to be completely historically accurate on. I've heard that during the battle of Stalingrad the Russians just shipped them out of the tank factory there in the 'raw'. This is an interesting question and would like to know the answer to it myself.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi,

Just looked through my files, what I found is:

Soviet AFV color= FS24052 = approximately OD 34087 (model master color?)

What Sgirty wrote about Red Army AFVs raw from the factory--same reports from leningrad, that KV-1s, etc. drove straight off the assembly line into battle unpainted.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys The base color I am using is model master 2129 Russian Armor green Its not an olive color its has more of a blueish hue, but it resembles the actual pics of real soviet armor I have seen, I'm just not convinced the fading of it will be accomplished with adding dark yellow to it and look authentic. cheers Kevin
 _GOTOTOP