_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
It is a Monster, Comrade!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 04:29 AM UTC
This is my take on the Trumpeter E-100 'super-heavy' tank. It's done as if it had actually gone into service. I was given the kit by a friend, it was partially assembled and missing some pieces. The suspension had already been assembled by my friend. But the idlers and the drive sprockets were bowed in, caused when he tried to add the tracks. Disgusted, he shelved the kit and eventually passed it on to me. The problem was that the tension was too much for the plastic mounting pins and axles on the final drive housings and idler arms. So I cut them free and used brass pins for greater strength. Then added the kit tracks, glued down to the road wheels to give the proper sag. The MG and it's mount came from the scrap box, and I added a scratch-built ammo bag. The smoke launchers, radio antenna, and some other details also came from the scrap box.
The I/R gear was AWOL, so I sourced some from a Great Wall accessory kit. The three figures are from Evolution and a pleasure to work with. The gas cans were from a Bronco set.

Thanks for looking. All comments or questions are welcome. Al
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Great build, love the subtle weathering, and your figure painting looks excellent.

I really enjoy these 'Paper Panzer' builds, .

Cheers, ,

G
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Al,

Great build, love the subtle weathering, and your figure painting looks excellent.

I really enjoy these 'Paper Panzer' builds, .

Cheers, ,

G

Thanks for the kind words. I've always liked the E-100, and Trumpy's version in particular. Al
bat_213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 12:10 PM UTC
your build looks great.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

your build looks great.

Thanks, Roy. Al
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 05:15 PM UTC
Very nice indeed Al and great realism. I also enjoyed finishing my E100 last month. It was a fun build and they look impressive once done... They look menacing..
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice indeed Al and great realism. I also enjoyed finishing my E100 last month. It was a fun build and they look impressive once done... They look menacing..

Thanks, John
The E100 is definitely more aesthetically pleasing to my eye than the Maus. I think both would have been 'White Elephants' if put into service though. Al
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 12:33 AM UTC
Absolutely beautiful model Al! How are you? Haven't seen you since Hudson Valley with no shows this year. I miss your smiling face! I like the green on green camo - makes sense. The mild weathering is right on. Nice setting , too.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Absolutely beautiful model Al! How are you? Haven't seen you since Hudson Valley with no shows this year. I miss your smiling face! I like the green on green camo - makes sense. The mild weathering is right on. Nice setting , too.

Hello, Matt. Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated. I'm doing well, as is the family. Hope all is good with you and yours also. Missing the shows, and the people, myself. As for the camo, figured by that stage of the war they wouldn't get too fancy. Those are actually Luftwaffe colors, my logic being they would use whatever paint stocks were available. The cobblestone road surface and fence were from a Miniart kit, as was the telephone pole. Al
mwells63
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 05:42 AM UTC
A very impressive diorama. All the elements from the groundwork to the tank and figures tie together seamlessly. I particularly like your figures, very nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A very impressive diorama. All the elements from the groundwork to the tank and figures tie together seamlessly. I particularly like your figures, very nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Mark. Unlike many diorama builders who start with an idea and a plan, I start with a model and kinda wing it. I'm happy with the way it came out myself. Al
 _GOTOTOP