_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Chipping and weathering
john3591
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 10:51 AM UTC
Hello-I am soon starting a 1/35 Panther V late G. I have a basic idea on weathering using washes and pastels but my weak spot is chipping. How is this best achieved? With a small liner brush? And what would be the colors used for a late Panther G. Thanks
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:00 AM UTC
I use a 5/0 brush and sponge. I find the sponge from packing (like those in electronics packages) work best. Same for those foam sponges at craft stores - works great. Dab the sponge in a little paint, "sponge it" on paper towel (to remove excess) then use it on the tank. I chip around areas of heavy wear such as hatches foot holds, grab handles, top of turret between hatches etc. I also like to chip the barrel top center line for some effect.
john3591
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:04 AM UTC
Thank you, any particular color? Silver, or red brown primer color? I am starting a late Panther V ausf G.
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:10 AM UTC
I like this guy's instructional videos.

The link is about chipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4comhKHJM
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:35 AM UTC
I would suggest getting something like this:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Rust,-Stain-&-Streaking-Effects-Color-Series-Model-Airbrush-Acrylic-Paints/p/80859410

I have it and I Love it. makes it easy.
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:50 AM UTC
i use Vallejo German black brown for "older" chips. newer chips will be lightened base color or metallic. I subdue my chipping with a wash of brownish oil paint.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:04 PM UTC
The main thing to remember about chipping is that there is no such thing as not enough. Unless you're going for a derelict, you generally want to keep chipping pretty subtle. Very easy to overdo (ask me how I know!).

redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC
At the risk of lighting a blue touch paper, why not try and find some actual WW2 era pics of German armour with 'chips' and rust streaks everywhere whilst in a combat theatre and use those as a reference? ‘Wear and tear’ yes – most AFV’s by late in the war had a life span measured in days or weeks rather than exhibit the wear of 20 years sitting in a rain soaked field without turning a wheel - but big chunks of paint a couple of square inches in scale 'chipping' off on corners and hatches etc....?

Modellers produce some quite fantastic work and effects but ‘artistic’ isn’t always ‘realistic’.

Whatever you do, don’t overdo the effects because IMHO there is nothing worse than an over chipped AFV model.

Gary
john3591
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:42 AM UTC
Thanks, point me in the direction of the "not overdone and in color tanks of WWII". All I can find is B&W. nice idea but not very sound as color photos were almost null and void.
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, point me in the direction of the "not overdone and in color tanks of WWII". All I can find is B&W. nice idea but not very sound as color photos were almost null and void.

The subtle and polite point I was making about looking for actual references in WW2 era photos (B&W or colour) which look like many finished and 'chipped' models is you probably won't find any.

Artistic licence is fine and as others have said, there is no actual benchmark to aim at as being 'correct' because for the main part, it is an artistic invention of modellers to inject some 'life' and interest into what can otherwise be fairly plain looking mono-blocks of colour....even if that's what the real thing looked like.

Bottom line, practice and when you are happy, 'stop' as there is no substitute for practice with (any) model finishing technique.

Gary
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 03:56 AM UTC
Whatever you do, keep it to a minimum. Its so easy to overdo this effect.

For the colors on you're tank, I'd go with a light buff shade (light stone, etc) for the scuffing chips, and then in a few of the larger ones, go with a brown oxide shade - any dark reddish brown will do).

Apply as the discussed above and in the videos linked.

Remember, keep it light. If you think just a bit more will look awesome, that means you should stop!
john3591
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 02:12 PM UTC
Thanks to everyone especially on the KISS method. I did a 1/72 King Tiger and went way to far on the weathering. What is my best bet for paint? I spray with rattle cans, Tamiya lacquer so I guess either enamel or acrylic will work? I haven't mastered washes yet but use a lot of ground up pastels.
john3591
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 02:28 PM UTC
Here are my last 2 attempts at weathering. The first is a Dragon King Tiger with "octopus camo". I was not impressed by the rubber band tracks. Definitely nedded chipping. The second was a Dragon T34-76 with separate links, nice sag on the tracks. I also missed out here with no chipping and I left the tow cables too long.

UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 10:09 AM UTC
Your oil paint work is really good.

There are a number of good youtube tutorials on chipping. I'm going to try the Mike Rinaldi hairspray technique on my next model.
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 10:10 AM UTC
Painting two-tone chipping is not too hard with a small brush. For the Tiger, you can use a lighter shade of the Dunkelgelb, then a red primer colour.
 _GOTOTOP