_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Russian Alphabet
johnstone
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hello all Soviet experts!
I've just purchased the Dio Dump/Reality in Scale Factory Gate.The kit has an arched sign over the gate. I want to letter the sign in Russian (something like motor works gate 3), For the life of me I cannot find Russian alphabets to use. Letters can be a bax 1 CM tall.
Any suggestions?? I've made a little headway with Google translator but would really like to get decals.
Thanks,
John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 02:45 PM UTC
Caveat: No Russian expert here. My name does not rhyme with "rookie."
But I do have a degree in it...

There are a number of plastic Cyrillic alphabet sets available online, but none that I've seen give dimensions.

A couple of other options exist-

Buy this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIAN-LETTERS-NUMBER-AND-FIGURE-STENCIL-RED-SOLID-PLASTIC-FONT-HEIGHT-1-2cm-/263084126576

Mix up a little batch of resin, dust the stencil with mold release, and carefully pour the resin into the stencil. It'll work - I've done similar things with resin. Make sure you let it cure long enough so it won't bend when you're popping it out of the "mold".

Second option: Purchase Latin alphabet in plastic. Many Cyrillic letters appear the same. Some that do not can still be replicated with some creativity - Я for instance. Ш can be equally produced. Obviously a few might require some surgery and cobbling back together. Best bet is to avoid words that aren't easily replicated, like завод.

This might work: трактор ремонт
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 02:50 PM UTC
Cyrillic alphabets Slater's style would be appreciated. Maybe the nice people in Spain at Green Stuff would consider production. They have the western alphabet and numbers in their catalog.
Northwoods
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 03:30 PM UTC
Could you use computer key board stickers?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cyrillic+keyboard+stickers&hvadid=78615174807663&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_91q3jpdvev_b
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 10:29 AM UTC
Sorry if misunderstanding, but why not just print ondecal paper.
You can type the letters in Microsoft Word, just install the Russian Language pack, then a simple keystroke or mouse click changes your keyboard to Cyrillic, and can type away but the keys are mapped, I use keyboard stickers to remember which is which. Or as You Have said, cut and paste the Cyrillic in from Google translate to Word then change font size.
Then simply print on decal paper.

If you need assistance with that let me know, I'm not a Russian speaker but do a lot of computer work, and have done this myself forsake plates for Russian ships.

Holger
Visit this Community
Primorskiy, Russia
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hello!
I can write)
For the USSR of the pre-war period, an inscription in paint would be appropriate.
Three-dimensional letters were certainly met, but quite rarely.
Also, I suppose, the inscription would most likely have been made on the gate.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 11:49 PM UTC
Try this.

https://www.yenmodels.be/shop/urban-accessories/yml35017-cyrillic-lettering
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 12:41 AM UTC
THAT is perfect!
johnstone
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thanks to all who responded!! Really appreciate it. Robert Skipper is right - this product is indeed perfect and I have ordered it.This company has a lot of neat stuff!
Best Regards,
John
 _GOTOTOP