_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Problem with tracks on King Tiger
Dragan_Che
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hello friends.
I am back in this hobby after 15 years. And, I have buyed myself a Takom's King Tiger in 1/35 scale.
Also I have buyed for this kit Friul's metal tracks.
Now I have seen that Friul's tracks are all the same.But, during my research ,I have found out that on real tracks, there is some small pointed area ,but not on every track.Please see on pictures that I have posted.For Example,I have seen on real photos from WWII that this is real,and that this is not fake.But what is bothering me,is that this pointed little area are not on e every single track.Can someone please help me with that?This tiny little detail doesn't exist on Friul's tracks,and would like to make it,to add it,but I dont know do I need to add it on every single track,or there is any pattern for it,or it is just ...something else.Please King Tiger experts help.
Thank you.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 09:03 AM UTC

Seems to be a little peg on every second "ridge" or once on each link (link with two ridges - flat "inside" link - link with two ridges)
Dragan_Che
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
Dear brother modeler.With all do respect this is not king tiger or Jagdtiger,what are you showing to me.
I see that on those tracks there is also this pointed area,but can you help me with king tiger?
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear brother modeler.With all do respect this is not king tiger or Jagdtiger,what are you showing to me.
I see that on those tracks there is also this pointed area,but can you help me with king tiger?

The image comes from this web-site
http://www.fahrzeuge-der-wehrmacht.de/Artikel/PzKpfw_6B.html
On closer inspection I see that what I thought was the pegs you were looking for is actually the small chevrons seen from an angle which makes them look like square pegs.
No really of any help, someone who has checked the tracks on a Tiger II might be able to answer.

I strongly doubt that the Germans would have made a special track link to be inserted at specific intervals in the complete track so my initial assumption still stands, one littel square mark on every track link which means every second ridge.

Most Tiger II's had track links that were of one single type, all the links were identical

and some had tracks consisting of two different link types, one with two ridges/edges and one which only connected the two outer ones.
Ask Google for this string: "Die Sohlen der Tiger"
and you will get a downloadable pdf, in German language, describing the track types and their usage.

Your photos show the type of track with two different types of links.
Dragan_Che
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 09:45 AM UTC
Thank you in any case.But I have checked also on photos in a books,and I can not post those photos because of copyright...of a authors.
But, there I can not find any kind of pattern.And on some photos this little square pointed part is visible,and on some it is not.What is most interesting,the authors of those books probably didn't noticed that very specific details.And I have ...very how to say,expencive books about King Tiger reference materials.But this detail...no one of famous authors ever researched and took attention on it,but it is visible details,and it means something...it wouldn't be there without any reason.Sorry if I am wrong.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 09:50 AM UTC
It IS a small detail and when the tracks gets worn it probably disappears. There are images on the internet where the track is worn completely smooth, others where the tracks are dirty or the photos are too low resolution to see any details.
I added an arrow to one of your images pointing at something that looks like the small rectangle on the next driving link
Dragan_Che
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC
Yes,you are probably right.And thank you for carefully paid attention on my research subject.But let us just a little bit wait with few more answers from King Tiger experts,there must be 100% reason and explanation for this.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 05:44 PM UTC
Your really that bothered about such a small detail on a track,in 1/35 scale that mark would be unnoticeable anyway.
barleeni
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 06:49 PM UTC
Perhaps its just a result of the casting process, either a casting vent, or the injection point.

These track links would be cast in a mould, so would need both vent and molten steel entry point. I certainly dont think its a design feature, pretty sure its just a result of the manufacturing process.
Dragan_Che
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your really that bothered about such a small detail on a track,in 1/35 scale that mark would be unnoticeable anyway.

Well,if I am not bothered about such a detail...I wouldn't talk about it.
My story is about quality,not quantity.
Dragan_Che
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 06:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps its just a result of the casting process, either a casting vent, or the injection point.

These track links would be cast in a mould, so would need both vent and molten steel entry point. I certainly dont think its a design feature, pretty sure its just a result of the manufacturing process.

Thank you very much,kind sir.I also had thoughts about that.And with your state,I am pretty much clear now to solve my quest about that detail.
 _GOTOTOP