Hosted by Darren Baker
No SOuth Vietnamese Tankers?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 12:00 PM UTC
Hobbyfan does make some Vietnamese figures for the M113, but you'd think by now somebody would make actual tanker figures for the M41A3, a tank very heavily used by the South Vietnamese military. Is there a retailer I haven't learned about yet?
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 01:25 PM UTC
South Vietnam seems to have gotten most if not all of their uniforms from the United States.If you were to use American Vietnam War era figures and add Asian heads you should be fine.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

South Vietnam seems to have gotten most if not all of their uniforms from the United States.If you were to use American Vietnam War era figures and add Asian heads you should be fine.

Actually, no. Asian bodies are small and the idea wouldn't work. Also I'd need helmets.
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 01:48 PM UTC
In addition, the ARVN used a uniform similar to the OG-107 uniform, not the "jungle" uniform associated with US troops in Vietam.

One thing you could do is if you have the old Tamiya Bradley & M1 Abrams, you could steal those figures with an appropriate head swap. The figures are slight/skinny & might work in this context.

Damon.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 06:29 PM UTC
The ARVN used all sorts of tracked equipment. Everything from the M24 (Korean issue?) to the M48a3. Even reputed to have used M3 and at least one M16 halftrack. I never saw a halftrack in country.
Their uniforms were similar to what the Korean Army wore, and even the cloth is different. They were also big on camo (PJ's for those that know). When you got into Ranger battalions, their uniforms looked closer to U.S. stateside stuff. Even camo cover on their helmets. Regular ARVN had netting on theirs. Jungle boots were only worn by U.S. and maybe Australian troops. Rangers wore a lot of tiger stripes, but the material was different. They also were big on displaying rank, where as the U.S. wasn't.
Regular ARVN were often seen with everything from the M2 Carbine to M16 rifles. Saw many with BAR's and M1 rifles. Still used bazookas. They even used the old 30 caliber Browning machine guns just like SF did. Yet their arty was exactly the same as ours.
gary
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 08:57 PM UTC
You could use the older Dragon ARVN Ranger set, with Hornet heads with T56 helmets. Or separate Asian heads with separate helmets from Bravo 6.
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 11:30 PM UTC
Sadly there are hardly any ARVN options. Some time back I sent Bravo6 an email asking if he would make some ARVN troops (infantry and armour), but there was no immediate plan.

You can get away with using the figures from the Academy M48A5 kit for ARVN tankers. Their helmets aren't 100% correct though, but figure size and facial features are perfect imo). Otherwise there isn't much.

Removed by original poster on 08/04/20 - 11:36:04 (GMT).
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sadly there are hardly any ARVN options. Some time back I sent Bravo6 an email asking if he would make some ARVN troops (infantry and armour), but there was no immediate plan.

You can get away with using the figures from the Academy M48A5 kit for ARVN tankers. Their helmets aren't 100% correct though, but figure size and facial features are perfect imo). Otherwise there isn't much.

Perhaps I should build my ARVN M41 anyway, and by the time I finish somebody will come up with proper tanker figures.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 03:10 PM UTC
I'd like to see Nungs and Hill People. These folks were the real bad dudes when you got out by the fence. Still I doubt that it would be politically correct.
gary
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 01:42 AM UTC
I sent a message to Paracel about making some ARVN figures to go with their VC/NVA line of figures. Cold silence. Wayne
Roast
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 01:54 AM UTC
Why not ask Bravo-6 for ARVN tankers. Bravo-6 is rather into VN figures.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC
ARVN uniforms also tended to have less baggy trousers than US ones. There are some Tamiya figures with that sort of cut but you’d need to do quite a bit of surgery to get the build appropriate and to adjust the uniform details and obviously add new heads. On the plus side, nobody else will have figures exactly like yours....

While I’d also like to see someone like Paracel or Bravo 6 do some ARVN figures, I suspect that the chances aren’t great, particularly I suspect in the case of Paracel. The ARVN is effectively being erased from history in VN (cemeteries are neglected, contrary to how even those who fell in the service of Nazi Germany are treated in some of their victims) and therefore awareness is low and not encouraged. Sad, given that they were fighting to defend their country in the same way as many others but they had the misfortune to be on the wrong side when it was over.

And if you’re trying to make a profit, there may not be enough demand to make them feasible. At least we can get some decent PAVN figures now, not that it helps you.
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ARVN uniforms also tended to have less baggy trousers than US ones. There are some Tamiya figures with that sort of cut but you’d need to do quite a bit of surgery to get the build appropriate and to adjust the uniform details and obviously add new heads. On the plus side, nobody else will have figures exactly like yours....

While I’d also like to see someone like Paracel or Bravo 6 do some ARVN figures, I suspect that the chances aren’t great, particularly I suspect in the case of Paracel. The ARVN is effectively being erased from history in VN (cemeteries are neglected, contrary to how even those who fell in the service of Nazi Germany are treated in some of their victims) and therefore awareness is low and not encouraged. Sad, given that they were fighting to defend their country in the same way as many others but they had the misfortune to be on the wrong side when it was over.

And if you’re trying to make a profit, there may not be enough demand to make them feasible. At least we can get some decent PAVN figures now, not that it helps you.

That was what I referred to as the cold silence. Wayne
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 05:12 AM UTC
I could do a Taiwanese version instead-at least figures exist for that.
 _GOTOTOP