_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
AMMO Mig Ultra Decal Fix
USMA15
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi friends, has anyone used this product before (https://www.migjimenez.com/en/accessories/1709-ultra-decal-fix.html)? I just tried it, and it was the best decal solution I'd ever used, up until the excess ate through the gloss lacquer varnish, and the acrylic paint beneath the varnish.

Anyone have a similar experience, advice, or recommendations? I'm just getting back into the hobby after ~10 years, and I'd only ever used Microset and Microsol before.

Andrew
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 08:56 AM UTC
I use their Decal Set and Fix combination over their satin or gloss varnishes (give the varnish good 24 hours to dry before decal application) and never had any issues, works like a charm.
I don't know if they react badly with lacquer varnish. Was it dry enough? Did you give acrylic paint enough time to dry before applying varnish?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 09:17 AM UTC
What gloss lacquer varnish did you use?
USMA15
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi friends, I used it over a old can of Model Master gloss laquer varnish, over Mission Models acrylics which had been dry for about a week.

Saša, the AMMO Mig's decal fix worked fine over their Lucky Varnish series paints? I have those too on my work bench. I'll be doing some testing this weekend I think.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espańa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 10:20 AM UTC
Be careful with Lucky varnish, it peeled off with plain water from the decals, and even more with Mr. Mark Softer...
USMA15
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 10:55 AM UTC
Carlos, oh wow. Didn't realize that. Hmmm. Which varnishes do you guys use, then?
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espańa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 10:08 PM UTC
The Lucky (sigh...) varnish has failed me three times, and there will not be a fourth.

I have got Vallejo Premium matt and gloss, which seem much more reliable but have not had the chance to try them yet.

VMS varnishes sound as another good option I would like to test
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi friends, I used it over a old can of Model Master gloss laquer varnish, over Mission Models acrylics which had been dry for about a week.

Saša, the AMMO Mig's decal fix worked fine over their Lucky Varnish series paints? I have those too on my work bench. I'll be doing some testing this weekend I think.

Well, yes, no problems so far whatsoever. Check the photo below. This was done just yesterday, drivers instrument panel for RFM Sherman I am curently building. The part is some 1,5 cm wide, was painted with black Ammo Lucky shot primer, left to dry for an hour or two and then lightly varnished with Lucky satin varnish. And now the best part... I didn't leave it to dry overnight, gave it again just an hour or two of drying time. Applied Decal Set, placed decal, tried to manipulate it in place best I could, and after some 30 minutes applied Decal Fix. Voila.

_GOTOTOP