Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 Revell Wiesel 2 SHORAD command
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 03:15 AM UTC
The “Wiesel 2”, I‘m about to build, is part of the „Leichtes Flugabwehrsystem“ (light mechanized short range air defense system). It represents the command post vehicle.

To introduce this light mechanized short range air defense system (leflasys = Leichtes Flugabwehrsystem):

It is a light, highly mobile, air transportable, short range air defense system, designed to provide air defense capabilities for the reaction forces of the German army.
Each light air defense missile battery is, among others, equipped with 15 “Wiesel 2” missiles carriers, 3 “Wiesel 2” radar vehicles and 2 “Wiesel 2” command post vehicles. Delivery of the systems started in 2000 and ended on schedule 2004.

Some years ago Revell Germany made a nice set of the three different “Wiesel 2” vehicles from this SHORAD system, including the missile carrier, the radar vehicle and also the command post vehicle.

Before assembling the kit, I made some “improvements” on a few parts.

I started with the head lights: They came, due to production process, flat. So I took a small milling cutter and hollowed out the lamp.

Next was the cooling air outlet. It was covered from the inside and it took me some time to sand down the thick plastic part.

The command post vehicle should come with a crew. Therefore the two hatch covers have to be build in open position.
I started by sanding the big plastic ring at the inside of the cover, followed by removing the covers bracket.
Then the middle part of the bracket was replaced by a 2.4mm tube, which I glued on the backside of the actual hatch cover.. The part I hat removed was cut in half and afterward each section was sanded carefully, beginning from the middle to its end. I did so to save the knobs at the bottom, which secure the exact position of the hatch cover. In the end the small 2,4mm plastic tube should fit exactly between the two remaining parts of the hatch cover bracket.

Now the hatch cover is fully movable, but for later painting not fixed yet.

Peter
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 04:07 AM UTC
Good start Peter.
Revell release interesting models but unfortunately they often are too simplified.

Enjoy your build.
Olivier
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 05:19 AM UTC
Salut Olivier

Merci!!!!
Merci de regarder!

Peter
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 10:34 AM UTC
It's great that Revell does some Bundeswehr subjects no one else does but a lot of fixes. Thanks for sharing the details.
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 03:50 AM UTC
I agree Paul, I think as well that they make some very nice kits, but sometimes I wonder about their selling philosophy. Right now, why don’t they sell the GTK Boxer anymore, which is a petty, because it is popular in Germany.

I made some further progress on the “Wiesel 2”.
I assembled the vehicle body, just didn’t fix the roof jet. To my surprise the kit parts came together very smoothly…. no major gaps… nothing.

As you can see, I also build a “ring” around every hatch. Revell had missed this detail.

To be continued!

Peter
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2020 - 01:42 AM UTC
I worked a little more on the “Wiese 2”!

I adjusted a plastic sheet according to the contours of the vehicle’s left side. Another plastic sheet was cut out roughly to the shape of the front roof.
I glued the two parts together, in a right angle.

On one hand this construction should represent the engine compartment walls and as well help to avoid the look through the cooling air outlet.

It is important to glue these “walls” right to the bottom of the vehicle and not to its left wall. This will do to keep the resilience, in order to snap in the vehicle’s roof, later.

To be continued!

Peter
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 01:37 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing the fixes and corrections This set is in my stash so I will eventually benefit from your work.
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 03:47 AM UTC
Thank you for watching, Robin.
The little set is very nice; all these Wiesel 2 are interesting vehicles.

During the last couple days I build a seat for the driver and then painted the vehicle interior in white.
At the same time I started with the driver’s figure. I mixed Miniart’s no. 37032, “Bundeswehr Tank Crew” and, from the same company, no. 35040, “German Artillery Crew Riders”. (Wrong time period, but a very useful set, if it comes to seated figures)
This building and afterwards the painting of the finished figure was time consuming.

Ultimately the figure was glued onto the seat and then the upper part of the vehicle was fixed onto the lower part.

I stay tuned!

Peter
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 09:32 PM UTC

In the meantime the commander’s copular was finished, the MG was adjusted and the commander took his place, yet headless.

The Wiesel received its headlights and the antenna sockets were fixed.

Then some color was added:

I used REVELL Aqua Colors:

80% 65 bronze green + 20% 05 white
80% 84 leather brown + 20% 05 white
80% 08 black + 20% 05 white

More to come!

Peter

deerstalker36
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 218 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 10:08 PM UTC
coming along nicely Peter. ive always wanted to build a set of these

PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 02:23 AM UTC

Thank you very much!

Yes the kit is really nice, but unfortunately REVELL is not selling it right now!

Let’s hope this will change!!

Peter
 _GOTOTOP