_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Humvee Help Needed
kefffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 08:21 AM UTC
I have an idea for a diorama with 3 Humvees. However i have a few questions which i would like to clear up first

1/ I understand that scout humvees (army) carry only 3 operators, if so do they remove the rear seats to carry more equipment ?

2/ What radios and ancillary equipment, aerials, mounts and handsets would be used. Would the radios be mounted between the driver or passenger seats ?

Weapons mix, was there a standard fit or mix and match as required

Two Green Beret humvees,for ODA, again crew of 3 ?, type and location etc for radio, antena, speakers and weapons fit

Would the humvees all have turrets ?

Many thanks for your help Keith
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 08:55 AM UTC
keith- You know you are in the right place as (not me) but many on this websight were there and have photos.

Please help them help you with more details of when, where, and who as the vehicles are constantly upgraded / modified for the mission. Do you have a photo or unit and mission reference?

Half the fun of this hobby is learning history thru research of references. Have you found Brent Sauer's HMMWV in Scale website? https://hmmwvinscale.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15810475

Best of luck
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
Some answers:

1. HMMWV rear seats ca't really be removed. The seat base is integral to the HMMWV and makes a little storage spot as the cushion can be removed. Also, the seat back is removable and can be laid flat to give a flat floor as well.

2. The standard place for radios is in the middle of the front against the dash board. The radio types will vary by mission, time frame, and type of unit.

No standard mix of weapons either. They also depend on mission, unit type, etc.

The armored turret depends more on timeframe.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 09:21 AM UTC
Green Beret HMMWV's? Hmmmm...
Lots of variables - time frame, GMV or standard gun truck, location, etc.

We rolled with two, and in rare instances three.

At a minimum three ODA members per gun truck - driver, TC, gunner. Sometimes one or two window lickers in the back. Sometimes a terp in each one, sometimes one, sometimes none. So depending on the hit, you could have up to five team members per gun truck, one on radio watch at the house, and one gone from the team in the first month.

And experience taught us to remove the seat back cushions from all of the gun trucks. Much more room for some corn fed SF guys and their gear.

Oh, and on two of our gun trucks we mounted the screen for the FBCB2
behind the front passenger seat. The driver really can't see well to the right with the screen in the traditional position.
kefffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 09:36 AM UTC
I should have said diorama based on humvees, 2020, desert fit, thanks again everyone
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 10:21 AM UTC
What time period are you looking for?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 11:00 AM UTC
Your questions are very nonspecific and don't have clearcut answers as usually, SOF vehicles are all different and are not standard. Your best bet is to find a picture of one (or a couple) HMMWVs you like and base your model on it/them.
 _GOTOTOP