_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Panzer IV
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC
OK, I think this may have been covered in an earlier thread, but I want to do a good Mark IV. I have a Tamiya Ausf. D and the Italeri F/G. How are the DML kits and the newer Tamiya kits? I opened up the two I do have and the motorization holes in the Tamiya kit depress me and the Italeri kit with the old "one kit, many versions" leads me to believe that it may not be the most accurate Pz IV around.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi Sabot,

The new Tamiya Pz IV Ausf H is not bad, I had built it myself as my first armor model, and really enjoyed it. With some after market thing added in, it will be great.

sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
i have never been disappointed by tamaya
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
the Italeri G is old, but still excellent after all this time. the old Tamiya D need a bit of help- nothing underneath, PE would made it very good. the Dragon late J is very good as is the Tamiya H and early J. the Italeri H ain't too bad either. avoid the Academy H like the Plague, same as old Tamiya H and inaccurate. Verlinden has a good interior kit for the newer Tamiya H and Jordi Rubio has aluminum gun barrels. also, both Aber and Eduard have PE for these kits, and i think Royal Model might have some stuff, too.

"We have found the enemy, and he is us...........................
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:17 AM UTC
Rob,
The Italeri F/G builds in to a pretty good 'G'. It has the wrong engine deck for the 'F'. The Tamiya 'D' is an oldie but a goodie. Fill in the motor holes in the bottom, under the fenders and the 2 square holes in the hull side.
The Tamiya kit #35209 "early H" requires zimmerit. I have the DML F2, looks good in the box, but I haven't started it yet.
Paulo can give you the ins and outs of the Italeri F/G. He is working on one now.
HTH
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Rob!
As Ron said, IŽm currently building the Italeri Pz IV Ausf G, and as Ron said again, the only correct version is the G.
The kit is pretty good, but will need a set of tracks (if you could find the Friulmodelismo ones, much better), a PE set and if youŽd like a aluminum barrel...(I didnŽt use none of the items I listed, but I wished! :-) )
The model is very good in overall aspects, but be carefull to remove all the ejector marks in very awfull and dificult places, like the rear hull panel to say one!
HTH
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Ron said, IŽm currently building the Italeri Pz IV Ausf G, and as Ron said again, the only correct version is the G.
The kit is pretty good, but will need a set of tracks (if you could find the Friulmodelismo ones, much better), a PE set and if youŽd like a aluminum barrel...(I didnŽt use none of the items I listed, but I wished! :-) )
The model is very good in overall aspects, but be carefull to remove all the ejector marks in very awfull and dificult places, like the rear hull panel to say one!

Thanks Paulo, I will reconsider building the Italeri "G". I already have the Elefant 75mm barrel listed for the Pz IVG (35 376) and the On The Mark Pz IV PE (TMP3518) as well as a set of DML Pz IV tracks. I was hoping I could build a good Mark IV straight OOB, thus avoiding the PE/barrel/track route. But since you say it's a good one, I'll build it any how. Thanks!
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hey Sabot

I think the DML Pz IVs are excellent. If you can get a re-tooled one you are in great shape. The early releases had some ugly sink marks on the rear face (where the detail is), and the OVE wasn't great. DML retooled that stuff, and I have built their StugIV and Brumbarr. The PzIV chassis are great, and nice to work with. The Pz IV F/2 kit is available here in Rochester, and I gather from others' comments it's a nice kit.

Cheers
Andy
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Sabot

I think the DML Pz IVs are excellent. If you can get a re-tooled one you are in great shape. The early releases had some ugly sink marks on the rear face (where the detail is), and the OVE wasn't great. DML retooled that stuff, and I have built their StugIV and Brumbarr. The PzIV chassis are great, and nice to work with. The Pz IV F/2 kit is available here in Rochester, and I gather from others' comments it's a nice kit.

Cheers
Andy

Have to agree with Andy Rob have built the Old panzer IV from italeri and did not really like it soft plastic and the old kit maybe was good in it's time,but Tamiya's panzer IV is good as is new Dragon panzer IV have both I would say toss up between the latter two the Dragon gives you the screen to make the skirts which is different then just the plain old armor plates. on my Italeri had to get replacement road wheels as most of mine you could see right thru the bolt area where bearing would be,so Testors sent me a box full of wheels. But this was about 10 years ago so mine was really old one.
 _GOTOTOP