_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"Separate the tanks from the Infantry"
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC
"All units-pssssht-maintain direction and interval-psssssht-orient guns on the hedge at 2 O'Clock-pssssh

yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 02:45 AM UTC
Wouldn't they use "hedge at 02:00 o'clock"?
And would the Germans reply with "Achtung Feindpanzer, 10 Uhr!"?

In other words would both sides use the clock to designate direction?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In other words would both sides use the clock to designate direction?

Maybe,but there has been no contact so far. To just order"hedge at 2 o'clock is confusing. Does it mean drive to hedge at 2 o'clock"? Fire at Hedge? What does it mean.But your 2 "Oclock" is a good point. I will change that.
As to the Germans,no German tanks were at this sector at the start of the offensive.Their Infantry relied on wire and runners to spread orders.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 04:06 AM UTC
Very cool JR , 2 o'clock , 2:10 , 2:15 , ........ I guess that answers the question why there are so many pointing figures in the modeling world ......
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 07:10 AM UTC
Nice, atmospheric image Jerry!

More please;..
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool JR , 2 o'clock , 2:10 , 2:15 , ........ I guess that answers the question why there are so many pointing figures in the modeling world ......

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No need - there's only one "2 o'clock" on a clock face, so when calling out directions they'd just say "2 o'clock"...

(The "02:00" is to separate am from pm...)
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 04:06 AM UTC
Well,lots of conversation about the caption so far. Thanks guys,for checking out the post and getting invloved.
This was my first attempt at something I always wanted to build. The type of tree found in the countryside in many European lands back then. The old tree was kept alive by the clump of leaves at the top and the sides of the tree were harvested from time to time for firewood to use in cooking stoves and fodder for livestock. I saw this in rural Italy still in use. "Shredding" is a term used in the UK for this practice.
All the veggies used here were from the excellent firm of "The Scenic Factory". I just received a nice large order from them.
Hope all are enjoying a nice weekend.
J
D1GG3R321
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 06:34 AM UTC
Great diorama. Armour is excellent as well. Just out of interest what length and colour mix did you use for the grass? I for some reason always find it a bit hard to judge from scanning the packets on line when trying to foresee the look of the grass when applied. Not so much of problem for realism generally, as most decent brands look good applied, but when after a particular look not so much. What you've laid down looks like a great match for pasture and roadsides in Northern Europe.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great diorama. Armour is excellent as well. Just out of interest what length and colour mix did you use for the grass? I for some reason always find it a bit hard to judge from scanning the packets on line when trying to foresee the look of the grass when applied. Not so much of problem for realism generally, as most decent brands look good applied, but when after a particular look not so much. What you've laid down looks like a great match for pasture and roadsides in Northern Europe.

Thank you Sir!
As to the color I was going after a wet early wheatfield right after it rained,which is what that day was. The paint was from two shades of cheap hardware store rattlecan paint. Sorry,can't remember the colors exactly. It was applied at various distances from this fake fur which I believe,is about 3/4 inch maybe ?
As to judging the colors before nd after you apply them,you can always adjust things a bit with fast and light passes from an airbrush or rattlecan like I use. Practice first on some old fabric or t shirt.
HTH
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 01:49 AM UTC
"I think I winged him mate"

A modified Riich figure from their mortar crew set with Dragon helmet,canteen,e-tool,Hornet head,Tamiya shovel and Enfield with a brass pig sticker. All other kit and detail was made with putty.
Paint was by Earl Scheib,$39.95 for a complete car paint restoration ! Whadda deal!
J

I see I forgot the pig stickers' scabbard! I made the frog but left off the metal stick-thing part! I also have to change the shoulder patch to the dancing lion. What was I thinking ?
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 05:08 AM UTC
Outstanding work. I love how the blowing grass detail breathes so much life into this diorama.🍺

—mike
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A modified Riich figure from their mortar crew set with Dragon helmet,canteen,e-tool,Hornet head,Tamiya shovel and Enfield with a brass pig sticker. All other kit and detail was made with putty.
Paint was by Earl Scheib,$39.95 for a complete car paint restoration ! Whadda deal!
J

I see I forgot the pig stickers' scabbard! I made the frog but left off the metal stick-thing part! I also have to change the shoulder patch to the dancing lion. What was I thinking ?
J

Funny old thing Jerry, I was reaching for the keyboard as I scrolled down, thinking "Aha, he's forgotten the scabbard", but luckily, before I made myself sound like a pompous a*se, I read the rest!

'Love it Jerry, very atmospheric.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Outstanding work. I love how the blowing grass detail breathes so much life into this diorama.🍺

—mike

Thanks for noticing that stuff buddy! I would be cool to figure out how to add sound and smell wouldn't it ??
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

J

Funny old thing Jerry, I was reaching for the keyboard as I scrolled down, thinking "Aha, he's forgotten the scabbard", but luckily, before I made myself sound like a pompous a*se, I read the rest!

'Love it Jerry, very atmospheric.

Brian

Thanks Brian,
I was thinking as I typed the words that I better point out the omission because well....Brian....Brian will see it !
A very good way to stay on my toes.
J
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 01:30 AM UTC
Masterclass in progress, great wafting grass & I only just noticed the weeds in there too. About the targeting thing – if I’m driving left towards a flank & you’re going frontal, your 2 o’clock might be my 3 o’clock…so if it’s wall-to-wall hedges ahead that might be confusing. I don’t have an answer apart from presumably AFV deployment 101 says “Always try to know which direction your commander’s pointing”? I guess compass points aren’t that specific either
G-man69
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Another one of your builds that almost snuck past me, . I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for your episodic approach to sharing your builds, .

I hate having to agree with Tim, , but a Masterclass indeed.

Cheers, ,

G
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not if the speedy stealthy Churchill ninjas snuck in directly behind them.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 04:24 AM UTC
Uh, Jerry...are those decals or handpainted uniform patches? I need to know whether to ask who the decals are from, or strike the "I am not worthy" pose.

Yes, the blowing wet grass and leaden sky, remarkably effective.

Earl Scheib paint? For the grass, AFVs or infantry??

KBalczo
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 05:17 AM UTC
Excellent all around!

Can hardly wait until the next episode.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Masterclass in progress, great wafting grass & I only just noticed the weeds in there too. About the targeting thing – if I’m driving left towards a flank & you’re going frontal, your 2 o’clock might be my 3 o’clock…so if it’s wall-to-wall hedges ahead that might be confusing. I don’t have an answer apart from presumably AFV deployment 101 says “Always try to know which direction your commander’s pointing”? I guess compass points aren’t that specific either

In this assault,as in most assaults in Normandy over the mostly flat wide farmfields the tanks and Infantry were given a compass heading to follow. So all tanks would be oriented on where the leader was going. So unit orders would be more general like"hedge at 2 O'Clock whilst inside the tank the directions would be much more specific like Commander to gunner,"possible AT gun at 250 degrees" etc etc.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 - 03:22 AM UTC
G,Fred and Ken,
Thanks loads guys for the excellent comments. It made my morning for sure. Fred,yes,I painted the arm badges on almost all my Brit figs. I hafta change this on along with over a dozen others though because I need to show the dancing lion and not the polar bear.
J
cheyenne
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 10:36 PM UTC
Excellent shooter JR , I especially like the fact that you used the sling under his forward grip on the rifle , very cool touch !!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 11:21 AM UTC
Great stuff as always, Jerry.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 - 04:14 AM UTC
Cheyenne and Bill,
Thanks Gents for the kind words of support!

You can't cover anything Commonwealth without giving a nod to a war-changing piece of kit,the 25 pounder. I believe this was the best medium arty piece in service during that war. For many reasons.
Here I have begun slapping paint on the venerable Tamiya kit. Easy to build and cheap!
It does not include a gunsight though so I will have to build one. The weathering is not complete yet.

Not overly exciting post but at least it confirms I do indeed still build!
J
 _GOTOTOP