_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Proposal - Ground pictures library
brakeet
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 03:15 PM UTC
I want to propose the following new features in this site:

It would be very interesting to have a section with reference pictures of the nature around us.
I explain me: Many times when you want to add an element in your diorama you don't know how to sahpe or paint it. You want to add a wall in your diorama, how to paint it, which colours? How the weather affect the wall aspect?

It the same when you want to add a hole in a road: How to realistically paint the different layers composing the road ?

Many pictures would be included in this king of section: walls, houses, roads, natural elements, small bridges, farms elements, well,...

In fact, all elements that you are supposed to add in a diorama and posing problems when you want to paint it realistically (weather action, stone colours, time damages)

It can be true also for airfields area (trcks colours and painted indications on it)

What do you thing about it ?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
It should have a very strict category system to find the stuff there...I can see it expanding very fast. A good naming policy plus search feature could do the trick...
The idea is BRILLIANT!
You can count on my effort when it comes to beautiful Finnish nature! Especially winter is full of small miracles...

Toni
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:09 PM UTC
That would be great !
But I think that we'd have a problem to host this on the site : Jim is already hunting for more space
to post pictures of vehicles and models !
I think that we could post such pics on MSN. Then the problem would be referencing the stuff.
But if there was a page on armorama saying where to find what pictures... it should be workable !

just an idea from someone who doesn't have to do the work...
Ralf
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 170 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:51 PM UTC
That´s a brilliant idea!
If there is any need for pictures of the Aachen region (Siegfried-line, Westwall or Huertgenwald) I would immediately cooperate! Perhaps the most simple handling woud be a sort of diorama-link-library (msn or other web-sites).

Greetings

Ralf

:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC
I'd love to see it too - I always wonder about terrain features and such for different locals...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That´s a brilliant idea!
If there is any need for pictures of the Aachen region (Siegfried-line, Westwall or Huertgenwald) I would immediately cooperate! Perhaps the most simple handling woud be a sort of diorama-link-library (msn or other web-sites).

Greetings

Ralf

:-)

Hey Ralf. Don't hesitate, post pics! And welcome to the site, your pics would be appreciated by all us dio builders I'm sure. :-)

Thx,
Tread.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC
That is a good idea, brakeet. I have often asked the same questions you did in your post. Has anyone been to North Africa lately?

Nic
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone been to North Africa lately?

I'm supposed to spend a week in Tunisia, but only in september...
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:27 AM UTC
it might be an idea if someone wanted to gather information on a certain subject or
terrain,to ask the members of Armorama,who seem to be spread across the planet
like pen pen going to Tunisia or Matt to Gettysburg,myself ,i am going to the Highlands of
Scotland soon,to simply email images or info.
Arthur
Am Alba Mannich
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
Matt's going to Gettysburg? Hmmm, I used to fly Heli-Tours there. Hope he enjoys the place. I just loved it myself. A little small, but cozy. Also glad they're finally doing something with that building by the tracks (the one Lincoln stopped by).

Tread.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
I think that is a great idea. I will be working on securing more support for the site to allow us to upgrade our hosting package. I think that MSN or Yahoo sites really wouldn't work for this kind of thing though as they don't really allow the kind of organization necessary to make this work. So... In the mean time you can send pictures like this to me at [email protected] and I will start re-sizing and organizing them. I won't be able to do a lot on this though until I get back from vacation later this month.

Cheers,
Jim
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:13 AM UTC
Jim, you´re supposed to be on vacation!
What are you doing here?
Get lost and bored and shut your computer now!

#:-)

Toni
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
Well You can count with me if you need some tropical foliage and nature, I´ll mqke a banana tree walk around and send to Jim, as a start! #:-)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:27 PM UTC
Do you want pictures from old houses buildings and shops in France ?
I don't have much about "natural" landscape.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC
Toni,
Are you kidding. It would be FAR more work to avoid the site and try to play "catch-up" when I get back. This way I can stay up on what's been going on. I just don't post as much as AOL is charging me 6 bucks an hour for this connection.

Pen,
Buildings and such would be great and fit in with the whole resource theme I think.

Cheers,
Jim
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 11:51 PM UTC
Now theres an idea a French house surrounded by banana trees, am I cracking up or what?? Jim what are you doin sneakin in through the back door, Scoot, you go on get outta here now and go absorb some of that California Vitamin D!! OOps sorry forgot I'm outranked here.

And holy smokes Paulo, I want to see it
Quoted Text

I´ll mqke a banana tree walk around and send to Jim, as a start!

Dont send any rosebushes after him man that could be dangerous. I must see that Banana tree walking around though, you crack me up buddy!!
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to propose the following new features in this site:

It would be very interesting to have a section with reference pictures of the nature around us.
I explain me: Many times when you want to add an element in your diorama you don't know how to sahpe or paint it. You want to add a wall in your diorama, how to paint it, which colours? How the weather affect the wall aspect?

It the same when you want to add a hole in a road: How to realistically paint the different layers composing the road ?

Many pictures would be included in this king of section: walls, houses, roads, natural elements, small bridges, farms elements, well,...

In fact, all elements that you are supposed to add in a diorama and posing problems when you want to paint it realistically (weather action, stone colours, time damages)

It can be true also for airfields area (trcks colours and painted indications on it)

What do you thing about it ?

I have a better Idea,Look out your window,take a walk,drive ya know. Everything you want dosn't have to come from the internet or the modeling store, just going for a walk and taking the time to smell the flowers is sometimes all you need for a great dio.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 08:16 AM UTC
I think its a good idea. I would be in favour of it if space weren't an issue. I agree with Envar, it'd get big quick. I could see a wide array of striations, modern, WWI, WWII, ETO, PTO etc. etc.
I wouldn't mind if it was just links to other sites. Maybe a post with links in it.
I have a site that is nothing but Norhern France ground images. It's bookmarked at work, I'll post it tomorrow (Monday).

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
Scott,
I think you just hit on a great idea. We can use the Link Directory here on Armorama to either link to an Armorama MSN photo gallery or another site that has images. That way we can have it organized to any degree we need it.

I will set it up if people want to submit links just use the ADD LINK function on the homepage.

Thanks!
Jim
 _GOTOTOP