_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
French WW II tanks
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hello fellow scale modelers,

It has been quite a while since I have last posted something in here.
I'm looking for a good kit of French WW II armour, I have already made the Tamiya B1 Bis, French variant, not captured by the Germans.
And have made the Somua S 35 from Tamiya as well.
I have been looking on the internet for reviews on these kits, but or the kits are really old. Or I can't find good reviews of them on the internet.
And this is taking a long time, and I'm getting impatient.
It has been months ago since I have build a new model kit and I'm finally wanting to build something and get to work on it.
Another reason that I want to continue build French WW II tanks is that I have studied them, bought some books to study them.
Two of the few English books that I could find online.
And I'm having a lot of paint left from previous projects that I want to use up.
Because I'm not wanting to waste my paint and want to save on paint cost, buying fewer new jars and bottles as it is possible.
The paint bottles that I got left from the projects that still have a large amount in them are: X-21, X-10, XF-58, XF-21, XF-55, XF-24, XF-23, XF-64, X-11, XF-16, XF-57, XF-69, XF-59.
So, I'm hoping that you can help me out.
Thank you in advance.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC
The Hobby Boss R35 and the Bronco H39 kits are decent builds. Not Tamiya level but then who is? Tamiya does have the R35 out now and though I haven't built it I have no doubt that it is an excellent kit.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 01:32 AM UTC
It may be small, but Tamiya's UE weapons carrier is a nice kit! Goes together well, and looks very unusual...
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Hobby Boss R35 and the Bronco H39 kits are decent builds. Not Tamiya level but then who is? Tamiya does have the R35 out now and though I haven't built it I have no doubt that it is an excellent kit.

I have checked out a review of the Hobby Boss R35 I believe, and I wasn't so impressed by it and wasn't going to buy it. To many issues they described that I'm thinking are to hard for me to adress.

Regarding the Tamiya R35, I have checked their instruction sheet through scalemates.com and there were some colors that I didn't have that I would have to purchase specifically for that project. And I'm wanting to use the paint for the project that I already have, since there aren't that much interesting French WW II tanks to model anymore with perhaps a more decent quality.

And I don't know much about other camouflage schemes that I can use on the tank with paints that I already have.
That being said, I'm remembering now that I could have a look at scalemates.com for an aftermarket set or so to do this. Will check this out.

Last but not least, I was taking a short look at the images of R35s at World War Photo's for camouflage schemes and colours. But, or the camouflage schemes weren't visible at all or aren't that clear. Or I can't tell what colors they all are, since I don't have any experience with using reference pictures for things like this.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It may be small, but Tamiya's UE weapons carrier is a nice kit! Goes together well, and looks very unusual...

Isn't it true that it fits better in a diorama instead of a standalone model in my display cabinet as is the case with all the other models.
I'm not making diorama's at the moment and I don't weather either.
But those things are possibly next on my list of things that I wanna learn.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 05:47 AM UTC
You may also want to look for the Trumpeter H35 kits. I have one in my stash and it looks pretty decent. I can definitely second the recommendation for the Tamiya UE Carrier. That is a fine little kit.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You may also want to look for the Trumpeter H35 kits. I have one in my stash and it looks pretty decent. I can definitely second the recommendation for the Tamiya UE Carrier. That is a fine little kit.

I will check out the kit.

Does the UE look good on its own as well? Because the figures and assets included with the model make me think that it is best and only used in a diorama, rather than on its own.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 06:02 AM UTC
Just a suggestion but if your main concern is using up the paint, they are comparatively generic colors and applicable to any number of kits. The deck tan and dark grey are actually for ships. The desert yellow is for the German Afrika Korps.

Also since none of the colors are specific to French armor color matches will vary from kit to kit. What was the color called out in one kit, may be replaced with another in another kit because the match was never exact. (Unlike German dark yellow or US Olive drab)

Just an idea.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Does the UE look good on its own as well? Because the figures and assets included with the model make me think that it is best and only used in a diorama, rather than on its own.

I think that the UE looks fine by itself on a shelf. It’s a small vehicle like a Jeep, Kübelwagen, or Universal Carrier. Of course it will look better on a stand as part of a diorama or vignette. As a shelf sitter it is fine. My personal problem is that I have yet to finish any other French armor to sit alongside mine, so it last sat alongside my British armor. But I have a Somua S35 nearly complete now to fix that. I think some of the smaller French tanks such as the R35 or H35 will look fine on a shelf alongside. Perhaps even a FT-17.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 08:12 AM UTC
PM sent

H.P.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 08:15 AM UTC
Here is a link to my UE build that I did back in 2011

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/141991.aspx

Unfortunately, my photos were stored on photobucket back then.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a suggestion but if your main concern is using up the paint, they are comparatively generic colors and applicable to any number of kits. The deck tan and dark grey are actually for ships. The desert yellow is for the German Afrika Korps.

Also since none of the colors are specific to French armor color matches will vary from kit to kit. What was the color called out in one kit, may be replaced with another in another kit because the match was never exact. (Unlike German dark yellow or US Olive drab)

Just an idea.

Thank you for your suggestion.
And I didn't know that these were not specific to French WW II tanks.
Regarding colors like the Deck tan, I'm not building ships, are there other applications for this paint in the WW II ground forces modeling kits?
I will remember the Desert yellow for usage for Afrika Korps versions of models I might build.
Thank you for your suggestion and I will keep it in mind.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think that the UE looks fine by itself on a shelf. It’s a small vehicle like a Jeep, Kübelwagen, or Universal Carrier. Of course it will look better on a stand as part of a diorama or vignette. As a shelf sitter it is fine. My personal problem is that I have yet to finish any other French armor to sit alongside mine, so it last sat alongside my British armor. But I have a Somua S35 nearly complete now to fix that. I think some of the smaller French tanks such as the R35 or H35 will look fine on a shelf alongside. Perhaps even a FT-17.

Thank you for your suggestions.
I have finished a Somua S 35 from Tamiya and a B1 Bis from Tamiya.
And they were nice kits, didn't have any issues whatsoever.
I was also planning on building the other iconic light tanks of the Second World War of France, so I'm glad to hear that they are complementing each other.
Regarding painting colors, do you think that I could use the colors for the project that I currently have and still be able to make it historically accurate?

Anyway, I hope you will fix the personal problem that you are having soon.
And don't forget to share your results with us, including the UE sitting next to the Somua S35.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:08 AM UTC
How about the Meng Char 2C?

A great kit and an impressive beast. Al
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for sharing, including the information with your post on there.
This indicates to me that I may want to buy one or more kits along with this kit, since you said that it is a fun little project.
And got the impression that it didn't take to long to assemble it.
And since I'm usually buying one kit at a time, first building it and completing it before I move on to the next kit.
I'm feeling that I need to buy another kit to keep me busy for a little longer, because otherwise I would have to pay shipping costs.
Tell me if I'm wrong about this, then I follow my usual routine of buying only one kit at a time.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry, but that kit is WW I related and I'm focussing on WW II.
Thank you for sharing this and giving the suggestion, but I'm not gonna build it. I'm just not interested enough to build it.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have checked out a review of the Hobby Boss R35 I believe, and I wasn't so impressed by it and wasn't going to buy it. To many issues they described that I'm thinking are to hard for me to adress.

Regarding the Tamiya R35, I have checked their instruction sheet through scalemates.com and there were some colors that I didn't have that I would have to purchase specifically for that project. And I'm wanting to use the paint for the project that I already have, since there aren't that much interesting French WW II tanks to model anymore with perhaps a more decent quality.

And I don't know much about other camouflage schemes that I can use on the tank with paints that I already have.
That being said, I'm remembering now that I could have a look at scalemates.com for an aftermarket set or so to do this. Will check this out.

Last but not least, I was taking a short look at the images of R35s at World War Photo's for camouflage schemes and colours. But, or the camouflage schemes weren't visible at all or aren't that clear. Or I can't tell what colors they all are, since I don't have any experience with using reference pictures for things like this.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/france/Renault_R-35.php has several of Danjou's color profiles from Mintracks and GBM (Guerre Blindes et Materiel) magazine which are basically the gold standard for French WW2 camouflage schemes. For all intents and purposes, GBM especially is the journal of WW2 French armored combat and vehicles. If you really want to take a deep dive into the matter, there is an excellent reference work that I can't recommend highly enough. https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/9120
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you for sharing this and giving the suggestion, but I'm not gonna build it. I'm just not interested enough to build it.

Actually, the problem for the French was that the 2C WAS a WW2 tank, even though it was designed to fight WW1 battles! I'm not sure if any actually made it to combat - I seem to recall reading that the Germans captured most of them still on rail transport in 1940.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This indicates to me that I may want to buy one or more kits along with this kit, since you said that it is a fun little project.
And since I'm usually buying one kit at a time, first building it and completing it before I move on to the next kit.
I'm feeling that I need to buy another kit to keep me busy for a little longer, because otherwise I would have to pay shipping costs.
Tell me if I'm wrong about this, then I follow my usual routine of buying only one kit at a time.

You’re welcome. I built at a faster pace at that time, but yes I do remember it being a fairly quick build. I think the biggest slow down was due to removing some ejector pin marks that would have otherwise been visible. But it is a recent Tamiya kit with their typical ease of assembly. For a more involved or longer build, sure, get another kit. Perhaps even their Citroen car, but done in original French ownership colors. But once you have a decent French WWII AFV collection going, do not overlook this kit.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually, the problem for the French was that the 2C WAS a WW2 tank, even though it was designed to fight WW1 battles! I'm not sure if any actually made it to combat - I seem to recall reading that the Germans captured most of them still on rail transport in 1940.

The French did destroy them while still on their rail transporters to keep them from being captured by the Wehrmacht. The Germans did capture one fairly intact though. Al
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 05:09 PM UTC
Here you can see the fate of each FCM 2C tanks :

http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/classement-individuel/fcm-2c

H.P.
gharker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 06:20 PM UTC
This is one of my Meng FT-17s. They are a fun build.
http://www.gregharker.com/wpimages/4.jpg
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You’re welcome. I built at a faster pace at that time, but yes I do remember it being a fairly quick build. I think the biggest slow down was due to removing some ejector pin marks that would have otherwise been visible. But it is a recent Tamiya kit with their typical ease of assembly. For a more involved or longer build, sure, get another kit. Perhaps even their Citroen car, but done in original French ownership colors. But once you have a decent French WWII AFV collection going, do not overlook this kit.

Okay, I will keep this in mind. Will buy another kit maybe with that kit if I decide to buy it in the first place.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That is a shock to me, but they were still thinking of fighting the battle of WW I again in WW II.
So otherwise, it wasn't really surprising that their tanks were old or not well designed for the new type of war that would be fought.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is one of my Meng FT-17s. They are a fun build.
http://www.gregharker.com/wpimages/4.jpg

You did a great job on building that tank, but for me, it isn't to interesting. Because, I'm building WW II tanks and not WW I. And the FT is a WW I tank.
 _GOTOTOP