_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Flat lacquer spray over acrylics.......
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 01:56 PM UTC
Ran into something and thinking of changing directions. Tried Mission Models acrylics. The faded OD green, not bad except for the mix mathematics. Shot over with Mission's semi gloss and decals were laid on and then re shot with the semi gloss. Not to bad Now, mixed up the flat and its like trying to shoot Elmers glue no matter the thinner added. Dumped and tried again with their poly additive, still sucks. Considering shooting mist coats with Tamiya flat rattle can. Anyone ever done this? I think it can be done but would rather not dig a trash kit out and shoot everything to test. Appreciate nay advise or info ......
markiii
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:25 PM UTC
I have used Tamiya flat clear lacquer out of the can on Tamiya acrylics. Misted on of course.
Don't know about over any other brands of paint compatibility.
HTH
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:35 PM UTC
I have airbrushed Alclad Lacquer Flat over acrylics,and Testors Lacquer Flat over acrylics also.So I think it would work,need to make sure basecoat is thoroughly cured.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 05:58 PM UTC
I think once the paint has cured/set, it can be sprayed on with anything, really. I regularly spray Dullcote over my models (painted with Tamiya, Vallejo, Mig Ammo paints), and I have not seen any issues yet.

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 11:33 PM UTC
Testors Dullcote on everything as well. No issues...ever!

Check the humidity in the room you work in to prevent 'clouding' (in another words, the 'fogging' of the dullcote). I also give the vehicle at least 48 hours of cure time, and every opportunity for the paint to "gas off". After 48 hours, if I can't smell the paint on the vehicle from about 6 inches away, I'm good to go!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 11:59 PM UTC
You're good to go, do it. No conflicts there.
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:31 AM UTC
Ahhhh...you guys are great! Appreciate the speed of giving me the info and advise on this. I will continue to use the acrylics although I am an OLD SCHOOL builder! Its just something I am going to have to work with. I think I'll dig out a "Trash" kit and start experimenting. Just did not want to do this on this nearly finished project. Have a great day and stay healthy !!!!!
 _GOTOTOP