_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava Mk.IV with Trophy APS help
twong529
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:52 AM UTC
Looking for some help regarding the Merkava Mk.IV with Trophy APS.

I noticed that the Merkava Mk.IV with Trophy APS has a different rear turret basket compared to ones without the Trophy APS. Here is the Meng kit showing how the rear turret basket looks on the Mk.IV with Trophy. The basket is shorter to fit the Trophy radar and the radar is angled possibly 30-45 degrees.

Here is the rear turret basket without the Trophy APS. Black Dog has a resin Trophy APS set and shows the rear radar attached to the side of the basket. Is this an earlier way to attach the radar before the new rear turret basket was fitted?

In this photo, you can see the rear radar seems to be attached similar to the way Black Dog shows it on the Merkava in the foreground. It isn't angled the 30-45 degrees as in the later style Meng shows it. Does anyone have any close up photos of how the radar is attached to the turret basket the way Black Dog shows it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 03:03 AM UTC
The Black Dog Kit is trash. Meng's kit is the best option for the Mk.4M.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 03:18 AM UTC
Black dog's set is wrong in many ways. Dont waste money on it.
hugoalejandro
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 04:04 AM UTC
As Nikos said, Black Dog conversion is way wrong in many ways: dimensions, shape, details and so on...
But instead of climbing on the trend to keep on deifying Meng kits, I will suggest you to take a look at this thread and get your own conclusions.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/276183&ord=&page=1

You'll find a number of photos there that will give you some good ideas about your question.
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Nikos said, Black Dog conversion is way wrong in many ways: dimensions, shape, details and so on...
But instead of climbing on the trend to keep on deifying Meng kits, I will suggest you to take a look at this thread and get your own conclusions.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/276183&ord=&page=1

You'll find a number of photos there that will give you some good ideas about your question.

Thanks Hugo!
For suggesting my humble little build log. The kit sits at 90% construction complete...I really need get that beast finished!
hugoalejandro
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Hugo!
For suggesting my humble little build log. The kit sits at 90% construction complete...I really need get that beast finished!

You are welcome!
I have it bookmarked
I think itīs about time for you to finish it
I'm kidding, I have so many kits in different stages of completion, and seem to be unable to finish any... LOL
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 10:25 AM UTC
I saw this thread and thought I'd throw out some opinions. I have built the Meng Merkava 4M with Trophy, and I have the Desert Eagle Publishing book on the 4M with Trophy that is shown in the link to Eric Raines' thread, above. That book has the best photography and most detailed images of the 4M Merkava, plus the Trophy system details, that I've seen anywhere. I am loathe to 'deify' any kit, since I think it is common knowledge that there isn't a single kit of ANY subject that doesn't have some level of inaccuracy or simplification. However, I noted very little discrepancy between the book photos and the Meng kit. I ended up doing some scratch building for parts of the system that the kit din't provide, which includes the 'war gaming' hardware used for training, such as the rotating beacon and MILES straps around the perimeter of the turret. Now, this wasn't inaccuracy in the kit; the kit didn't model these details, and I wanted that stuff on my tank. But for what it's worth, I think the Meng kit is really well done and sufficiently accurate for my needs.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit sits at 90% construction complete...I really need get that beast finished!

Hi Eric...yes you DO need to get your Mk. 4M finished, buddy! I should talk...I've got AT LEAST 6 airplanes in various states of completion, so who am I to talk...

Then again, I DID finish my Merkava, so THERE!!! LOL
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The kit sits at 90% construction complete...I really need get that beast finished!

Hi Eric...yes you DO need to get your Mk. 4M finished, buddy! I should talk...I've got AT LEAST 6 airplanes in various states of completion, so who am I to talk...

Then again, I DID finish my Merkava, so THERE!!! LOL

Oh boy...can I relate to this or what? Got six vehicles on the desk at the moment...all in some level of completion, 4 that actually have paint on them now! Two AML's have no paint. I'm hoping being in a couple of "get the damn thing finished" campaigns will have motivated me enough to complete these puppies inside 6 months. We'll see!
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw this thread and thought I'd throw out some opinions. I have built the Meng Merkava 4M with Trophy, and I have the Desert Eagle Publishing book on the 4M with Trophy that is shown in the link to Eric Raines' thread, above. That book has the best photography and most detailed images of the 4M Merkava, plus the Trophy system details, that I've seen anywhere. I am loathe to 'deify' any kit, since I think it is common knowledge that there isn't a single kit of ANY subject that doesn't have some level of inaccuracy or simplification. However, I noted very little discrepancy between the book photos and the Meng kit. I ended up doing some scratch building for parts of the system that the kit din't provide, which includes the 'war gaming' hardware used for training, such as the rotating beacon and MILES straps around the perimeter of the turret. Now, this wasn't inaccuracy in the kit; the kit didn't model these details, and I wanted that stuff on my tank. But for what it's worth, I think the Meng kit is really well done and sufficiently accurate for my needs.

Ditto on the Meng kit and Eagle Publishing's book on the Merk IV. As far as reference material goes, having the Eagle book and the internet, my Meng IV kit will suffer no setbacks. As I recall, its mentioned in the kit instructions that Meng actually had full access to Merk IV's...which would obviously lend itself to producing as much of a flawless kit as possible. Once I get to it, it should prove one handsome kit display. In the meantime, I'm hoping Meng will release a separate 1/35 kit of the Nochri-Kal Mine Roller, for attaching to the Merk IV Trophy.
 _GOTOTOP