_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T72M - Polish or Czech different?
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 07:54 AM UTC
This question is about differences in turret shape. The T72M has a flat angled face on the Czech turret but was the Polish turret cast the same way or was it more rounded in the front?

I'm going off the SBS resin turret pics vs. the Prime portal photos of the East German T72 by Thomas Voigt. Because of the smoke grenade launchers I can't see for sure.

TIA,
Jeff
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This question is about differences in turret shape. The T72M has a flat angled face on the Czech turret but was the Polish turret cast the same way or was it more rounded in the front?

I'm going off the SBS resin turret pics vs. the Prime portal photos of the East German T72 by Thomas Voigt. Because of the smoke grenade launchers I can't see for sure.

TIA,
Jeff

The T-72M used the turret casting of the original T-72, but with the laser rangefinder instead of the coincidence rangefinder optics.

The T-72M1 used the turret shell of the T-72A, and had the slab front associated with the new armor. It also had a layer of applique armor welded to the glacis. The smoke grenade tubes were arranged a bit differently from the Soviet T-72A.

The tank Tamiya used to reference their kit is one of a very small batch built for the East German NVA that had the early turret mated to the late hull (with applique).
AlexClark
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

TIA,
Jeff

There were small detail differences between the two, but both had the same turret shape, with the flattened, sloped front cheeks you mention. It's hard to see unless a high res photo from specific angles, especially if it's a later one with SGLs.
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 03:39 AM UTC
I was tired of waiting for miniart, RFM or even trumpeter to release a T-72M, sign
 _GOTOTOP