_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question on Cromwell tank tracks
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 04:37 AM UTC
Did the Cromwell tank ever use the tracks and sprockets meant for use on the Cruiser MkVIII Challenger tank?

I am stuck with an SKP set and I thought I might use it to replace the Tamiya kit tracks. According to my not so thorough research the Cromwell at some point did use a different type of track.

http://www.skpmodel.eu/product.php?id_product=169
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 06:53 AM UTC
Cromwell initially used 14” track but later versions used 15.5”. Not sure what A30 used but it might well be the latter size, given the mechanical commonality.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 07:44 AM UTC
Yes, some late-mark Cromwells used the same 15.5" track as the Challenger A30 tank. Bear in mind that you need the narrow sprocket off the Comet to do it right, unless the SKP kit now comes with it? Their initial kit used the sprocket copied from the Tamiya kit, and they borked the tracks to widen the holes to fit. Then they released a separate set of correct 15.5" tracks, but with the correct holes they wouldn't fit the sprocket! The way to test is to hold it up to a Tamiya sprocket - it should slip its teeth inside the teeth of the Cromwell. If all else fails, I did create a set of correct sprockets to 3D print at Shapeways...
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 11:02 PM UTC
Thank you for the replies. The SKP track width is spot on 15.5" in scale and sprockets were indeed provided in the set but I have misplaced them somewhere. If I dont find them I will try to work my way modifying the kit sprockets.

Quoted Text

If all else fails, I did create a set of correct sprockets to 3D print at Shapeways...

I think I found your sprockets on shapeways (TGC models if I am correct). The sprocket hub is different on images I found, similar to the Tamiya kit sprocket hub. I might order a set though in case I dont find my SKP sprockets and remove the Tamiya hub caps and add them to the 3D printed ones.

I also compared the tracks with the sprockets of the Bronco Comet kit, the width is ok but the "pitch" (?) does not match, I could not curb the SKP track around the Bronco sprocket.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 11:21 PM UTC
Update...

There is a preservd Cromwell tank "Ajax" that has the Comet hub caps on the sprockets.

And the Challenger tank at Overloon War Museum has early Crowmell tracks and sprockets

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also compared the tracks with the sprockets of the Bronco Comet kit, the width is ok but the "pitch" (?) does not match, I could not curb the SKP track around the Bronco sprocket.

Well that's odd! They should be the same pitch as the Bronco teeth - the first version SKP released (set 098? I know I reviewed them here a million years ago) fitted the Bronco sprocket just fine, but they did not have those tiny pins to hold them together like the set you linked to at the start. If they won't fit Bronco, don't waste your money on my 3D printed sprockets because they are simply copies of the Bronco ones! Is the pitch correct for the Tamiya teeth? If so, you may have to narrow the Tamiya sprockets instead.

Review of SKP 098 tracks
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 397 posts
Armorama: 397 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 02:25 AM UTC
Greeting! Track from SKP Model has very poor quality. I have used them in my A30 project. Indeed they perfectly fit to A34 Comet drive sprocket. I really have problems with not best casting of the tracks. So I've decided to drilled them out and make workable.

_GOTOTOP