_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
French Armor Colors In 1940
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 12:23 PM UTC
MY ICM Panhard 178 shows the older, more elaborate French camouflage paint schemes as color suggestions. But I read that by 1940, French armor was painted in simple dark green with reddish overspray. What's the story?
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 02:37 PM UTC
Only the first production run had the black borders (liners) on a two tone green camo. The others were either olive green, two tone green or green and brown.

Can you give me the registration number of the vehicle you plan to build? I will see if I can be more specific for you.

And yes, the first series camo survived until 1940, so you can go with it if you wish.
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But I read that by 1940, French armor was painted in simple dark green with reddish overspray. What's the story?

French AFVs were camouflage painted at the factory. The patterns are distinctive for each production batch, i.e., you can distinguish different production runs of the same vehicles by the paint scheme sometimes.

That said, yes, by 1939-40 there were AFVs being built with two-tone grey and green or grey and brown camouflage. But that's not to say that existing AFVs were being repainted in plainer schemes. AFAIK they retained their colorful 1930s schemes.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. The Panhard kit lists four different marking and color options; I want to depict anything that survived the Battle of France.
 _GOTOTOP