_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Meng: Flexible Sandpaper
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 - 07:31 PM UTC

MENG now releases two high performance flexible sandpaper products, the MTS-041 High Performance Flexible Sandpaper (Fine Set) and MTS-042 High Performance Flexible Sandpaper (Extra Fine Set).

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC
This is kind of weird. It's like people used to use sandpaper and files, and then started using sanding sticks, which I never really got because there was still sandpaper and files, but now someone has come up with using sandpaper, but cut up and coloured.

Hard not to be cynical, but I assume this must cost way more than buying packs of normal sandpaper, which has always been flexible, is already available in all of those grades (should you need all of them) and can be cut to size with scissors as needed. Normally the back is colour coded and has the grade printed on.

Special boxes and refills - maybe groundwork for a subscription model?
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 01:39 AM UTC
Well indeed, although taking something low cost and repackaging it with different colours and a new name and higher price seems to be an effective business model for many, so why not climb aboard the bandwagon? No doubt once the review samples start flowing, magazine article authors will be raving about it.

Maybe if they sell enough, it will fund the tooling of a kit I want.

Fortunately I still have a decent stash of untrendy wet & dry in various grades that will last me years. And I’m still allowed to use scissors to cut it up.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 01:49 PM UTC
I'm with you on that one! I'd personally rather skip the hi-tech sandpaper in favor of the next kit that catches my eye. The convenience offered by the graded and colored paper is offset by the fact that I too can use wet 'n dry sandpaper and scissors.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 08:43 PM UTC
First, let me say that I have no interest at all as I do not receive anything from Meng.

While I am not going to replace my old sandpaper I have, if I had to get new ones these could be an option. I have limited space and time for modelling so having them pre cut and readily available is a plus.

Different colours help also, many of my cuts do not have grit information on the back as it is printed only in parts of the sheet.

Other brands have also self-adhesive versions, which I find useful as well.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is kind of weird. It's like people used to use sandpaper and files, and then started using sanding sticks, which I never really got because there was still sandpaper and files, but now someone has come up with using sandpaper, but cut up and coloured.

[...]

As far as I understood, these from MENG are supposed to be a hybrid from both former ways: All the features of a soft spongy sanding stick with all the flexibility of a sheet of sandpaper. Makes them more sturdy than sandpaper and they are also supposed to hold longer and not loosing their grip all too soon...

Since I am in to retire my old sanding sticks anyway I might have a look into those... What I like about them is to have them advertised as just what they are... not like other brands advertising simple glue as THE groundbreaking invention of the 21st century changing your way of modelling eternally...
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 10:16 PM UTC
I was wondering if the extra fine set is for use on areas like canopies before moving on to liquid polishing agents.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering if the extra fine set is for use on areas like canopies before moving on to liquid polishing agents.

I think that my MicroMesh polishing kit starts at 1200 or so and goes to 8000 or 12000 before getting into the liquid stuff. I found one one the internet which starts at 2400 and goes to 8000 + liquid.
Once you get to 8000 you can go straight to Future, or equivalent, floor polish
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think that my MicroMesh polishing kit starts at 1200 or so and goes to 8000 or 12000 before getting into the liquid stuff. I found one one the internet which starts at 2400 and goes to 8000 + liquid.
Once you get to 8000 you can go straight to Future, or equivalent, floor polish

I'll go to 2400 wet then switch to the Blue Magic metal polish I used on my brass and gold bits on my class A's. Then a dip in Future.

And I'll go to Ace Hardware when I need sand paper, they sell it by the sheet and it's a lot cheaper, then I'll hit the beauty supply shop for sanding sticks of various grit, some big, some not. Some flat some not but a lot cheaper than a 'name brand' item and works just as well.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Styrofoam meat packing tray works wonders.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

[...]

As far as I understood, these from MENG are supposed to be a hybrid from both former ways: All the features of a soft spongy sanding stick with all the flexibility of a sheet of sandpaper. Makes them more sturdy than sandpaper and they are also supposed to hold longer and not loosing their grip all too soon...

Since I am in to retire my old sanding sticks anyway I might have a look into those... What I like about them is to have them advertised as just what they are... not like other brands advertising simple glue as THE groundbreaking invention of the 21st century changing your way of modelling eternally...

I must admit I didn't really pick up at first on the fact that these are kind of sanding pads, instead of just sandpaper, probably because the word sandpaper was used so many times. Looking at the piece of sandpaper I'm using right now though, one of the great things about actual sandpaper is that I can keep folding it, and making it into various shapes, right down to using the folded edge. So anyway, these are sort of a new thing, not quite as odd as I first thought. But still...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Styrofoam meat packing tray works wonders.

Thanks for the tip
Time to annoy the wife by squirreling away those trays ...
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 09:29 AM UTC
The same stuff is on those blocks women use for polishing their nails.

By the way, in response to Matthew, these sanding sticks can be trimmed as well to fit into tight spots.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 09:43 AM UTC
I use my wife's Sally Beauty Supply card to get my sanding accessories at a discount. There's a lot of good stuff in the nail aisle.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 12:59 PM UTC
That's where I go. I didn't think of getting sanding supplies there but went in to pay for the girl child's warpaint for her first prom. A guy came in went to the nail care isle got what he needed, paid and took off. I mentioned to that clerk that he looked happy and she said he comes in all the time to get sanding sticks for building models. I went over looked at the selection and the prices and a light went off and I started grabbing various sticks myself. Went back to the counter with my haul joining my niece with her war paint selection and the clerk looked at me with a weird grin and said "you must build models too" and my niece says "oh yeah, sometimes you can't get him from his hobby desk".
 _GOTOTOP