_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Re: Wire Screen
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 11:48 AM UTC
Aloha everyone!!!

I'm looking to add a "make shift" stand off chain link fence apparatus to my Sherman (I'm guessing someone had that idea late war) and was wondering if anyone knew where I could start. I know Et models has a bedspring set for the T-34 and I might end up using that but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 12:04 PM UTC
There is one brand of garlic that has four or five bulbs in one mesh tube. It has the correct size and square shaped holes. Not all are correct but this one is. I know I got it at an Asian market place, not your typical Kroger or other large chain.
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 12:25 PM UTC
Thank you Robert I will definitely check that out
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 01:47 PM UTC
Aloha Kurt! I just used a $1 offcut from a roll of bridal (or rather black funeral) veil from a haberdashery store…

I couldn’t find the square/diamond pattern I wanted but I’m sure it’s out there, it’s up to you if you think this one cuts it. I brushed it with Humbrol steel enamel & then thickish water-based rusty shades – as they don’t mix I got the desired uneven rusting effect. Another cheap/easy alternative is the mesh used in most fly-screen doors, typically square-pattern which can be cut at a 45° angle to get the diamond shape. But It’s not as flexible as veil if you need to bend it
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Aloha everyone!!!

I'm looking to add a "make shift" stand off chain link fence apparatus to my Sherman (I'm guessing someone had that idea late war) and was wondering if anyone knew where I could start. I know Et models has a bedspring set for the T-34 and I might end up using that but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions

That occurred in Vietnam, but I've never seen it in a WW2 photo of US tanks. Sommerfield Matting, a hexagonal wire screening similar to heavy chicken wire, was often attached to vehicles with an inch or so of stand-off, but this was to affix foliage for camouflage.
Against the threat of panzerfausts, the nearly universal go-to was sand bags (except for Third Army, where Patton banned them). Patton did order up-armoring of Shermans using plate salvaged from tank wrecks, in February, 1945.
A less common solution than sand bags was concrete. Rebar stubs were welded to the armor surfaces, and concrete was poured over it.
If you have your heart set on wire fencing, tulle (wedding veil) is available for a nominal price from fabric stores, and comes in diamond and hexagonal weaves. You might also use vinyl window screen, though you probably want the finest type, so the "wires" don't appear too heavy.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is one brand of garlic that has four or five bulbs in one mesh tube. It has the correct size and square shaped holes. Not all are correct but this one is. I know I got it at an Asian market place, not your typical Kroger or other large chain.

I've found them in Safeway stores. The one's I've bought are red.
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That occurred in Vietnam, but I've never seen it in a WW2 photo of US tanks.

There's a photo somewhere of a British Sherman with a bunch of wire fencing around it. Definitely WW2.

I agree, I've never seen a US one.

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 12:38 AM UTC
Don`t you confuse this with the meshwire baskets attached to US tanks in firing positions at the end of Korean War?
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 02:30 AM UTC
It might very well be both the British Sherman's I was looking at and yes I've seen the Korean War mesh ones but I think I mistook the British Sherman for an American one. My bad folks but thank you for all the advice! I'm feeling a trip down to the grocery store or the haberdashery still might be helpful for a different project
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also serves to keep the vampires at bay!
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 04:59 AM UTC
This is the tank I was thinking of. I think this was just experimental.

DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 05:00 AM UTC
Better photo. Different tank but still British or commonwealth.

DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 05:10 AM UTC
Testing on a knocked out M4A2.

DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 05:13 AM UTC
Well, I was wrong about US Shermans. This one is supposedly Jan 1945.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 05:22 AM UTC
That bottom photo is expanded steel, not chain link, so the diamond patterned tulle would would perfectly. And as I've posted in the past, a few bucks' worth should last a lifetime.
I had not seen the hex shaped tulle that Tim posted, but that would be ideal for the photo above the last one.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 08:34 AM UTC
You can get tulle by the yard at Walmart.
 _GOTOTOP