_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Italeri M4 Sherman
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 08:39 PM UTC
Has anyone completed the Italeri USMC M4 Sherman (6389)? If so, can you provide some do's and don'ts. I would also appreciate any websites that provide details on assembly.
Thanks
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:01 PM UTC
DJ, here is a review by the highly respected Cookie Sewell (a retired Army Warrant Officer). Italeri US Marines M4 Sherman Review

Italeri did cut some corners, and most say that the rear slope of the upper hull has to be changed to depict a true M4A2 as well as the exhaust. I think it is an inexpensive alternative to getting a wading set and wooden applique armor. Nice kit, I like mine.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC
Yeah, I'll be getting one for the wading trunk myself. I've got to model that M4A2 carrying the Japanese Type 94 tankette on the engine deck as a trophy. Last night got shot to ribbons schedule-wise so I didn't get a chance to thoroughly examine my photograph, but I think I'll be needing a 56-degree upper hull for mine.

Greg
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:24 PM UTC
I read Cookie's review and bought the kit anyway. I like it too, just a little more work, that's all...

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:37 PM UTC
Appreciate the leads. I bought the Eduard PE set (for a whopping $28, ouch!). The positioning of the waders is remarkable in that I have numerous references showing them in all sorts of configurations....I think I'll go with the instruction sheet.
thanks again
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC
Well, DJ, not all the waders were factory kits. Plenty were cobbled up locally by the units, so shapes and attachment points could be all over the map. Lots of room for creative scratch work! Have fun and keep us posted; I'll be very interested although my A2 is down the priority list a ways. You can never have too many worthwhile insights from people, I always say.

Greg
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Appreciate the leads. I bought the Eduard PE set (for a whopping $28, ouch!).

Check out this website for some of the cheapest p/e I've found on the net. I just bought 2 sets from them and saved $15 from my previous source (including shipping). It took about 10 days to ship it from Poland to Western Canada.

http://www.gphobby.krakow.pl/index_en.html

...and they don't bill my card until they ship the product.

hth
Simon
 _GOTOTOP