_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
RM5040 1/35 Rye Field T-34/85 vs.Italeri
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 04:31 PM UTC
It's probably far too early to tell, but curious if anyone has any insight into the new RM5040 1/35 Rye Field Model T-34/85 Model 1945 No.174 Factory kit as compared to the relatively recent Italeri T-34/85 with interior. I got the Italeri kit, even though I knew there were issues with the texture on the hull skin, probably unforgivable on a brand new 2019/2020 new tooling kit, but had read that once painted and weathered, the nuance of the hull texture was not a huge deal. Wondering if the Italeri T-34 now belongs on the virtual scrap heap... The build article in the Modeling News is what pushed me in the Italeri direction, one of the VERY few Italeri kits I own.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 10:18 PM UTC
The RFM kit seems to have more options like two types of commanders cupolas and two types of fenders. So you could make an earlier version than with the Italeri kit.
See here:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10704307
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 12:55 AM UTC
The Italieri T-34-85 is certainly the worst T-34-85 on the market right now (with the possible exception of the ICM one that I haven't seen. Their 76mm T-34 is pretty bad).

That said I don't know that I'd toss it. I'm building one now (don't ask!) and it's definitely got some very weak areas. But it's not junk.

RFM is doing a 174 tank that will probably be truly excellent if their T-122 is any guide. They're also doing a 183 tank.

Dragon and Zvezda's T-34-85s are very good also.
rockhoundnms
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 01:44 AM UTC
Just got my RFM kit this week. In my opinion it is better detailed than the Dragon offerings. Just enough photo-etch for the details. The cast texture is not overly exaggerated and the weld beads around joints and parts is well done. There are different parts included in the kit to build other versions: 3 types of rear bottom plates with different drive covers, 2 mantlet options, and spider rimmed wheels. My only complaint so far, is the inclusion of the rarely seen front turret weld section. I would have hoped for an option to do a zv.174 turret with angle joint.
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 02:37 AM UTC
Front turret weld?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 02:37 AM UTC
Thanks, guys. From what I see, looks like the Rye Field T-34/85 doesn't have an interior. I guess if I want a better T-34/85, it's Rye Field or MiniArt, but I really want to do that tank with the large rear circular access panel to the engine in the open position, so I need at least some level of an engine. If the MiniArt kit is as good or better than the Rye Field, and it DOES have an interior, maybe that's the route to go. Or, I suppose I could steal the engine compartment out of my Italeri kit and fit it into the Rye Field tank. It sounds like folks think the MIniArt T-34 is a well done kit. Is it as good as the new Rye Field? Has anyone been able to compare them yet, or are these kits still too new for anyone to have looked at them side-by-side? I am intrigued with the Rye Field photo etch extras, which seem to allow the modeler to build the external fuel tanks completely out of brass. Wonder how that will turn out...
rockhoundnms
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 02:53 AM UTC
I am referring to the area where the bottom and top sections are welded on the turret. The front turret area usually had a 90 degree square weld or a variation of some type of angle weld towards the gun mantlet.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 03:48 AM UTC
Miniart has the habit of first releasing a kit with a complete interior and some months later they release the same kit without the interior parts.
They also carpet bomb the market by squeezing every possible variant out of the molds so if they don't have the exact version you are looking for it will probably turn up after a while.
Link to Miniarts web-site with details of one of their T-34's with interior:
https://miniart-models.com/products/35290-t-34-85-w-d-5t-plant-112-spring-1944-interior-kit/
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 03:57 AM UTC

Mini-art also publishes their kit instructions on the website so you can see exactly what you are getting. I have the Miniart kit and may do it, with its full interior, for the mini-art campaign. I was working on their SU-85 (not the interior kit) and making notes about what to look out for, but the interior bits on the T-34 have some significant differences.
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am referring to the area where the bottom and top sections are welded on the turret. The front turret area usually had a 90 degree square weld or a variation of some type of angle weld towards the gun mantlet.

OK. That's not a weld, its a casting seam. The whole turret shell minus the roof (welded on) is a single-piece casting.
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...but I really want to do that tank with the large rear circular access panel to the engine in the open position, so I need at least some level of an engine. ...

Having the circular hatch open will not reveal any of the engine, which is separated from that area by a bulkhead on the real tank (and on all the model kits with interiors).

What you will see is the transmission and some of the exhaust system. Oddly, Italeri did a decent job of that part of the kit. If that's all you want is that hatch open, the italeri kit is really not bad at all.

Of course the Miniart T-34-85s are spectacularly better.
 _GOTOTOP