_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Airfix (Academy) M3 Stuart Honey aftermarket
D1GG3R321
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 11:31 AM UTC
So I’m just finishing up a few things on the go currently with a mind to what’s next. I’ve not been modelling long so don’t have much of a stash, but it does include the Miniart SU 122 with interior.

I don’t intend to start this kit next though, partly with a view to the proposed Minart campaign in the new year, but also because I want to try out some simpler kits with PE first as not yet tried PE., im also after a kit On the cheaper side that can play around with some more advanced build, painting and weathering techniques without worrying about trashing a more expensive kit.

I’ve come across the Airfix M3 Stuart Honey which I’m aware is a Re-box of an Academy kit. It’s caught my eye as relatively cheap, interesting subject and paint scheme and as a bonus could squeeze in for the lend lease campaign. Is anyone able to advise if the following PE aftermarket kit will work. Logic dictates it should, but want to avoid a mistake as not dipped my modelling toe in with aftermarket yet. I’ve checked scalemates.com and it doesn’t seem to list it against either the Airfix re-box, or the Academy precursors:

Kit:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a1358-m3-stuart-honey--1190144

Aftermarket PE:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eduard-Accessories-35502-Model-Making-Accessory-M-3-Sturt/dp/B003A5N7JS

Any feedback on the kit itself would also be welcome. As explained I’m intending this to be a little bit of a test for learning, so if it would benefit from a bit of upgrading for example adding cast texture, this would also be something I want to try.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... Is anyone able to advise if the following PE aftermarket kit will work. Logic dictates it should, but want to avoid a mistake as not dipped my modelling toe in with aftermarket yet. I’ve checked scalemates.com and it doesn’t seem to list it against either the Airfix re-box, or the Academy precursors:

Kit:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a1358-m3-stuart-honey--1190144

Aftermarket PE:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eduard-Accessories-35502-Model-Making-Accessory-M-3-Sturt/dp/B003A5N7JS

Any feedback on the kit itself would also be welcome. As explained I’m intending this to be a little bit of a test for learning, so if it would benefit from a bit of upgrading for example adding cast texture, this would also be something I want to try.

The Airfix (Academy) Honey is a pretty good kit. In fact, it’s the only “early” M3 on the market, with the welded turret. It has some warts though, but fortunately, you won’t notice them much if you’re not an M3 expert. Part of those warts are actually because the kit shares parts with the later cast turret “US” M3 production kit which had a different transmission drive system and a “bull nose” rear deck. There are a few minor dimensional issues too, but these aren’t really noticeable, unless you’re an M3 expert. One of these is the presence of a turret basket, Which very early M3s didn’t have, but again, this is because the kit shares sprues with the supposedly later US version.

I’ve built both Academy kits, and used the excellent Eduard PE sets for both (Honey and US version). Both kits have some nice features, hopefully these features carry over to the Airfix kit:

1) Nearly full crew interiors (with the caveat about the turret ring basket and floor mentioned above, which did not exist on the early “Honey”.
2) Rather nice renderings of the 37mm gun and machine guns with breech and barrel details, with “extra” weapons.
3) Nice accessories and tools, with extras.
4) The Academy kit includes both “rubber band“ and separate link tracks, which are both nice renders.
5) A comprehensive decal sheet.
6) Detailed full hull with suspension, although the details are a bit generic for M3s, as opposed to “early” or late”

I’ve built just about all the M3-M5 series Stuart light tanks out there — both the older and new Tamiya versions, all the AFV versions, and the Academy kits. I’d say the Academy kit resides far above the old Tamiya kit for detail, a bit below the new Tamiya M3, and a good bit below the AFV club M5. But altogether, the Airfix/Academy “Honey”, is a good kit. Add the Eduard PE, and it will be a very nice model, plus it’s the only “very early” M3.
VR, Russ
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 01:11 PM UTC
D1GG3R321,

I'll be watching. I have this kit in the "soon" pile.

Russ, great info! Thanks. I'm no M3 expert but have we found one (you?) on site?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

D1GG3R321,

I'll be watching. I have this kit in the "soon" pile.

Russ, great info! Thanks. I'm no M3 expert but have we found one (you?) on site?

Fred,
I’m not an “expert” by any means, there are others here who have more expertise (I’d say Michael Koenig is one) on the real Stuart. But I do have some knowledge of the kits, and have access to two actual early M3s. Somewhere, I have some old “paper“ photos of the interior of one of them. The Stuart is one of my favorite vehicles, and I’ve spent some time crawling around the two in the closest museum. It must have been a blast to crew one of them— until you ran into anything larger in caliber than a .303!
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 01:47 PM UTC
Here’s a better review from Cookie Sewell from a few years ago over on Hyperscale. I did some checking on line, and it looks as if there are no real changes between the Airfix kit and the old Academy kit, including the two sets of tracks. So you’ll get lots of extras in the box. Cookie has done a very good job of spelling out the issues with the turret baskets, far better than I’ve done, but overall, he really liked the kit, I have to agree:

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/m3reviewcs_1.htm

I don’t think you can go wrong with the kit. I would definitely add the PE though, for the engine grate alone, but there are lots of added details on the Eduard etch sheet too.
VR, Russ
D1GG3R321
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 08:12 PM UTC
Russ the comprehensive answer is much appreciated. Seems like this kit is a little bit of a gem and ticks the boxes for me currently, including the interior. I’ve just completed a P204(f) which had a basic interior, but feel I need another kit to try before the beast of the miniart su122. Glad also it offers separate track links. I’ve found whilst rubber bands offer simplicity, they’re a right pain to get any sort of proper paint and weathering finish.

Hopefully with delivery times and finishing off my current projects, I should move onto this mid October.

Fred, I’ll try and keep some progress posted once I get started. If nothing else it should highlight any pitfalls I fall into!
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Airfix (Academy) Honey is a pretty good kit....has some warts though.... Part of those warts are actually because the kit shares parts with the later cast turret “US” M3 production kit which had a different transmission drive system and a “bull nose” rear deck. There are a few minor dimensional issues too, but these aren’t really noticeable, unless you’re an M3 expert. One of these is the presence of a turret basket, Which very early M3s didn’t have..

I am having trouble understanding some of this. There was no cast turret M3 light tank variant....ever. All had welded turrets except the first 100 or so that were riveted.

The rear deck was the same on all M3s, except for exhaust differences for diesel vs gas versions. The M3A1 had a curved rear engine deck.

I'm not sure but I don't think any M3s had a turret basket. M3A1s did. I also think they all had the same transmission. Again I am willing to be corrected here.

I too am not a Stuart expert, however, I listen to those who are, and the dimensional issues and detail issues are not trivial on this kit. I agree its a perfectly fun kit to build (I've built a few) but we shouldn't be under the false impression that it is accurate. You rightly point out that the new Tamiya and AFV Club kits are vastly better, but they are of course different variants.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Airfix (Academy) Honey is a pretty good kit....has some warts though.... Part of those warts are actually because the kit shares parts with the later cast turret “US” M3 production kit which had a different transmission drive system and a “bull nose” rear deck. There are a few minor dimensional issues too, but these aren’t really noticeable, unless you’re an M3 expert. One of these is the presence of a turret basket, Which very early M3s didn’t have..

I am having trouble understanding some of this. There was no cast turret M3 light tank variant....ever. All had welded turrets except the first 100 or so that were riveted.

The rear deck was the same on all M3s, except for exhaust differences for diesel vs gas versions. The M3A1 had a curved rear engine deck.

I'm not sure but I don't think any M3s had a turret basket. M3A1s did. I also think they all had the same transmission. Again I am willing to be corrected here.

I too am not a Stuart expert, however, I listen to those who are, and the dimensional issues and detail issues are not trivial on this kit. I agree its a perfectly fun kit to build (I've built a few) but we shouldn't be under the false impression that it is accurate. You rightly point out that the new Tamiya and AFV Club kits are vastly better, but they are of course different variants.

Yes, I think I pointed this out, the difference in the turrets is the shape, and I misspoke about the “cast” part. I never said it was 100% accurate, but it’s the “most accurate” early M3 on the market. He’s asking about the “Honey” which is in that first 100 you’re speaking about. It’s obvious Academy made some errors in “blending“ their two kits. The early M3s had no turret baskets. The Cookie Sewell article explains all this.
VR, Russ
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He’s asking about the “Honey” which is in that first 100 you’re speaking about.

The "Honey" nickname simply refers to M3s used in North Africa. There's no difference in the hardware between what we call a "Honey" and any other early M3. Those first 100 or so with riveted turrets, as far as I know, remained in the US. But even if the british got some, the turret type doesn't make it a "Honey". The British crew does.

This is of course a separate issue from how the kits are marketed. Academy's "Honey" kit, which has a welded turret, comes with British add-ons, but if those are left off it is like any other M3 used by e.g. the US or Red armies.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The "Honey" nickname simply refers to M3s used in North Africa. There's no difference in the hardware between what we call a "Honey" and any other early M3. Those first 100 or so with riveted turrets, as far as I know, remained in the US. But even if the british got some, the turret type doesn't make it a "Honey". The British crew does.

This is of course a separate issue from how the kits are marketed. Academy's "Honey" kit, which has a welded turret, comes with British add-ons, but if those are left off it is like any other M3 used by e.g. the US or Red armies.

Ok, I’m speaking of the way Academy (And now Airfix) marketing/packaged the kit with the flat sided turret, again the kit, not the real thing. Take a look at the linked article by Cookie Sewell. He’s compared it to plans. There is some debate wether the plans are accurate, I understand. The original poster is merely asking if the kit is suitable as a quick build to experiment with the Eduard PE. I believe I’ve answered the question. I haven’t said anything about accuracy or rivet counting—just the opposite I think. But I don’t think that’s the original posters intent, I could be wrong. In any event, it’s the only kit marketed with the early “flat sided“ turret. I’m not sure what the point is beyond that.
VR, Russ
D1GG3R321
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ok, I’m speaking of the way Academy (And now Airfix) marketing/packaged the kit with the flat sided turret, again the kit, not the real thing. Take a look at the linked article by Cookie Sewell. He’s compared it to plans. There is some debate wether the plans are accurate, I understand. The original poster is merely asking if the kit is suitable as a quick build to experiment with the Eduard PE. I believe I’ve answered the question. I haven’t said anything about accuracy or rivet counting—just the opposite I think. But I don’t think that’s the original posters intent, I could be wrong. In any event, it’s the only kit marketed with the early “flat sided“ turret. I’m not sure what the point is beyond that.
VR, Russ

Thank you both for the info. To clarify, I was initially enquiring about whether the aftermarket PE from Eduard would work for the Airfix kit as a rebox. I primarily wanted a kit to try out PE on. However the other info is of great use as my interest in this kit was also that it had an interior and I wanted to try out some new (to me) techniques on the model in general. I wanted a bit of a practice kit, before tackling a miniart Su 122 with interior in the New year.

Since I was intending to use as a bit of an 'upskill' kit, I will also be trying out some weathering and paint techniques on it for the first time, for example using oil paints for modulation (I've only used oils for pin washes so far).

Given all that, I was also willing to try my hand at any corrections to accuracy, such as adding casting texture, or missing weld beads, if appropriate for this kit.

The inclusion (inaccurately as you both identify) of a turret basket, leaves me with a little bit of a dilemma - whether I remove it to go for accuracy, or leave in as will me to practice on a more detailed, albeit potentially inaccurate interior. I'm not sure of any other inaccuracies with the rest of the interior and whether the PE will go some way to rectifying. I may wait delay that decision until the PE arrives
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2020 - 08:41 AM UTC
Well, here’s what you’d need to do to the interior to get it a bit more “accurate”:
1) leave off the Academy/Airfix turret basket ammo boxes—actually, the Honey kit comes with the correct drive shaft tunnel and transmission, but the incorrect turret boxes, which are curved to fit the basket.
2) build the angled prop shaft housing (lower at the front and higher all the way to the back to the engine compartment. I think there are some additional bins on the hull/turret floor needed, you could do those in plastic card. Frankly, even with the drivers compartment forward ports open, you really can’t see a lot in there anyway. The prop shaft housing was basically a narrow rectangular box that rose from the drivers compartment through the turret area to the back wall. You can probably find some photos on line.

Here’s a photo of the real thing, but with the US later ammo racks (you want to replace those in the kit). I just checked on line, and there’s lots of photos of folks who did the conversion too for the M3 Honey boxing.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/9937005394_81ddf395a1_b.jpg

As an aside, it’s been over ten years since I built my “Honey” kit, so I’d forgotten about the interior bits. Tonight when I got the chance, I popped the turret off and it all came flooding back. It’s the later US and M3A1 boxing thats got the funky interior basket, the M3 Honey boxing is ok, with the exception of the ammo storage, so I think you’re good to go— I had to revise this message.

VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP