_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Use of Tiger 1 transport tracks in combat?
NasseSeta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 02:18 AM UTC
The short and long of it: Is there any evidence that a Tiger 1 with transport tracks installed was used in combat?

Longer:
Hello all, I made an account to ask this question. I just got the AFV Club Tiger 1 late model and a set of workable transport tracks, but then got hung up on wondering if it would be accurate to model a Tiger in an action context (e.g. among some ruins, in a firing position, etc.) but with the transport tracks installed, since I'm not so hot on doing a transport diorama. I know some Tiger 2s at the end of the war were fitted with only transport tracks, but since Tiger 1 production ended way before the war did, I'm not sure if they were ever in a position to push Tiger 1s to combat in such a state.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 03:13 AM UTC
Transport tracks were too narrow and the vehicle's ground pressure would increase, making it difficult, if not impossible to maneuver on soft terrain. Also, considering that railheads were behind the front lines and allowed the unloading of equipment in relative calm, there was ample time for transport tracks to be replaced with combat tracks. So, that would preclude any Tiger Is from entering combat with anything but combat tracks.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC
Tiger photos get scrutinised by a lot of knowledgeable people. I've not noticed this and I've not seen anybody report it.

David
NasseSeta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC
Thank you for the replies. I was pretty certain this would be the case, but wanted some confirmation. Hopefully I can rehab a pair of old friuls for this Tiger then.
 _GOTOTOP