_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
RIP Eddie Van Halen
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC
Today the world lost a true giant in the Rock World. The greatest guitarist to ever live. Let's just imagine for a moment if Eddie Van Halen never came about. It's truly unthinkable. You will be truly missed....RIP Eddie Van Halen
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 12:43 PM UTC
Totally agree, a huge loss, such an innovator and amazing talent. I haven't been so gutted since we lost SRV.

RIP EVH

Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 03:11 PM UTC
It should be an international day of mourning. I saw Van Halen three times in concert. Great shows. We've lost two of the most skilled rock musicians in history this year Neil Peart and Eddi Van Halen.

RIP Eddi.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 10:47 PM UTC
Never was lucky enough to see Eddie play (the curse of 2nd shift)
Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to hear a 3 hour tribute on the radio. Talk about guitar pyrotechnics !
Eddie you will be missed!
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 11:05 PM UTC
Have a Van Halen campaign tribute...building a vehicle from, or used by, the country of Panama!
agincajun
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 - 11:08 PM UTC
One of the first things I do every morning is check out what's new on the "rama", sad news this morning, lot of memories thanks to Eddie and his brilliant musical talent.

rest in peace Brother, farewell!
tnker101
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 01:39 AM UTC
Eddie!! A lot of good times listening to Van Halen. Back when I was active duty a few of us asked to be late for afternoon roll call just to watch the premier of Hot for teach video on MTV...lol He will be missed
steel_tiger1
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 04:51 AM UTC
While an excellent musician I never forgave him for stealing my girlfriend away, then marrying her.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have a Van Halen campaign tribute...building a vehicle from, or used by, the country of Panama!

Or any car, afv, or aircraft used in 1984.
FarmerDave
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 08:29 AM UTC
I could not believe my ears when i first heard Eruption. I couldn't imagine how it was possible to play a guitar so fast.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Or any car, afv, or aircraft used in 1984.

Or used to Jump into Panama
Hunter6
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 09:13 AM UTC
Country music guy so guess I missed out. Heard the name of course, but can't name one song he did. Better guitar picker than Chet Atkins?
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 10:43 AM UTC
The one song that got me hooked back when they first appeared in the mid-late '70's. The rest after that - not bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI7XiJgt0vY

And this came out in the middle of the Disco era. rejoice.

Cheers

PS - Then there was Led Zep in late '60's but that is for another time

UPDATE:
OK so this is totally off topic for a modeling site/forum. So I Figure it needs to be justified as a modeling subject. So how about this:

You have just finished puttying up all those unsightly seams and now it is time to sand all the putty off. Well, to help in that tedious task I recommend you play the song in the the link I posted here as loud as you can while sanding. Put the song in loop/repeat if necessary. Now the trick is to sand the putty while following Eddie's guitar rip. Stay with the rhythm. Before you know it those putty filled seams are gone (along with a lot of other detail). Downside - be prepared to do a lot of re-scribing and other detail repair. But hey - you can sand as well as Eddie can play.

Cheers 2.0
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 03:06 PM UTC
I found that sanding to "Running With the Devil", "Everybody Want's some" and "Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now" help set the timing and cadence for proper sanding.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 08:03 PM UTC
I understand that this is not a site/forum topic but when I set down at my work table and begin working on my next armour build I immediately turn my music on. I have a wide range of music interest. But,Van Halen is and will always be my favorite rock band. I myself can not set and work on modeling projects without music playing . Though modelling is my first hobby I do have other interest and one being music. Playing drums and guitar are others. My point I'm making is this, there are times when you look at a persons life and how a certain individual has ment so much to so many people I feel as though they need to be remembered. So again, while I'm working on my next armour build and when I hear a Van Halen song I'll stop and pause for a moment and listen to the greatest guitarist to ever live and say thank you Eddie Van Halen for all the joy and smiles you have brought to not just myself but to the thousands others your talents has touched around the world.

RIP Eddie Van Halen you will be truly missed but never forgotten
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

RIP Eddie Van Halen you will be truly missed but never forgotten

Well said! His combination of genius and boundless energy is one that I haven't seen elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZCw1ADQeaQ

I sat up until after 2am watching "Live Without a Net" and drinking bourbons, it took me right back to when I started playing guitar and Eddie was one of my major influences (along with SRV, EC and GM).

Cheers, D
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 10:02 PM UTC
I too listen to music while I build. Sometimes Spotify but mostly WMSE a college radio station I volunteer at. Sometimes they even let me DJ!!! But when Martin Birch passed away mid August they invited me down to do a 3 hour show of his works. They also just did 3 hours of Eddie and the DJs have been "peppering" their sets with a lot of VH.
Bottom line is--- That's one helluva band they have up in Heaven!
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 - 02:04 AM UTC
When I build, I throw in music DVD's. Doobie Brothers at the Wolf Trap, Eagles Farewell Tour (Australia), AC/DC's No bull, to name a few. There is usually a beer sitting close by too. The music is what I grew up with and at the same time, covers up my 'singing in the shower' moments, as well as the use of 4 letter words when the build doesn't go quite well. If I don't have one already, I'll have to add a VH DVD to the mix.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I too listen to music while I build. Sometimes Spotify but mostly WMSE a college radio station I volunteer at. Sometimes they even let me DJ!!! But when Martin Birch passed away mid August they invited me down to do a 3 hour show of his works. They also just did 3 hours of Eddie and the DJs have been "peppering" their sets with a lot of VH.
Bottom line is--- That's one helluva band they have up in Heaven!

We also lost Neil Peart of Rush this past January. Man, I know I'm getting old now.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 - 07:26 AM UTC

Sad loss. I'm not a huge Van Halen fan, but he was quite a guitarist.

I guess we'll see these old rockers start to pass more frequently now. But it's hard for me to admit he's an old rocker - the Stones seem like old rockers, but Peart and Van Halen not so much....

Indeed, RIP.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 11:10 PM UTC
A little bench music
https://www.wmse.org/program/the-rock-ride/

Enjoy !
parrot
Visit this Community