_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Dragon/Zvedza T-72B 1/35 issues?
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2020 - 07:42 AM UTC
I know their version of the T72G/M was said to have the wrong shape turret, But what of the T72M2 (or T72B w/ERA). Does this one have any turret issues? I built one long ago but wasn't aware of the inaccuracies in these kits at the time.

TIA,
Jeff
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2020 - 09:52 AM UTC
I don't know enough about the whole T-72 series but I have several Dragon/Zvezda kits in my stash and I will certainly, in due course, try and get the best out of them. The biggest error to me is the oversized gun on I think all their kits. I have procured several Accurate Armour replacement barrels (easily available and in the scheme of things quite reasonably priced) and will use these to do my best to make the models acceptable. I am not yet sure about the tracks but suspect these may also benefit from replacements.

I suspect those who are more fully informed will recommend say, the Trumpeter versions but for me, as I have them I will build them; I just don't quite know when!

Brian
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2020 - 03:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know their version of the T72G/M was said to have the wrong shape turret, But what of the T72M2 (or T72B w/ERA). Does this one have any turret issues? I built one long ago but wasn't aware of the inaccuracies in these kits at the time.

TIA,
Jeff

Don't go anywhere near them. The Dragon kits of the T-72 and T-80 were designed in 1989. just before the Soviet Union started opening up, and they were designed using plans based on long-range, clandestine aerial photos They are wrong in all major dimensions, and have a multitude of small errors. The gun barrels are immense, about 140mm in inside diameter. With an imperfect but acceptable Tamiya T-72M kit, and some very good Trumpeter T-72A and B kits, there is no reason to buy the Zvezda offerings, no matter how cheap. If you care at all about accuracy, you'll end up spending much more on aftermarket items just replacing all the bad bits.
 _GOTOTOP