_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M10 Achilles IIc fighting compartment details
nick_pal
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 03:50 PM UTC
Hi all, i have finally picked up the tools again and am getting stuck in to Tamiya's 1/35 M10 Achilles. So far its built up really well (as expected with Tamiya) but am after some more guidance on the turret/fighting compartment.

As far as my research has got me I can't find any info regarding a commanders radio in the turret for communication with the driver. Im assuming there may have been one and if so where is it wired to. I have also found numerous aerial set ups for the No. 19 radio, doesn't seem to be standardised in the field.

If anyone has any references or is able to guide me I'd be more than grateful.

I hope everyone is well and getting a lot of bench time in!
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 02:39 AM UTC
I’ve not managed to track down definitive data but the radio was in the same place as the US one, front right of hull. The commander and hull crew may have had intercom boxes to which to connect their headsets, which would make sense. If so, they would no doubt be the standard design. Mike Roof drew them up for his build of a Riich carrier in Tracklink a few years ago.

The only aerial setup I have seen on a regular line AFV is an A set and B set antenna one. Former is on a conical rubber base and the latter (shorter) on a short stalk.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 03:13 AM UTC
These manual drawings don't show any intercom boxes mentioned in the captions...

http://www.tankdestroyer.net/images/stories/ArticlePDFs/Turret_Interior_Illus_-_Front.pdf

http://www.tankdestroyer.net/images/stories/ArticlePDFs/Turret_Interior_Illus_-_Rear_and_LH_Side.pdf

http://www.tankdestroyer.net/images/stories/ArticlePDFs/Turret_Interior_Illus_-_RH_Side.pdf

To me there's a candidate in the first one, just on the right of the spare .50 Cal. barrel. But I've read somewhere that the n°19 radio set could have an intercom function.

H.P.
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 05:48 AM UTC
In the drivers position, it’s definitely the box on the rhs hull wall behind the spare 50cal barrel
Just google 19 set accessories - control units. They have drop leads with cone like plugs into which the headsets are connected. The knob on the control unit dictates radio or intercom features

See
https://www.pa3esy.nl/military/gb/army/ws-19/html/ws19-acces.htm#jubox1mk2
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 08:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the confirmation Simon

H.P.
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 06:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the info gentlemen. They are great illustrations Frenchy, gives me a much better idea of the interior.

Next question is where would the commander hook up his headset to? Somewhere in the turret?
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 08:51 AM UTC
Anyone know how they'd get wires from the radio to the turret? There's no turret floor, so no slip-ring system, and any wire from the hull would get tangled if the turret traversed 360 degrees. Did they have turret comms beyond the Mk1 mouth/ears? I could see them using a wired headset from a box in the hull, simply laid on the floor when not in use or when traversing. The M36 had a turret floor and slip ring, so had comms boxes on the turret walls...
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 12:49 AM UTC
For what it's worth, I did a walkaround of the one at the American heritage Museum and tried to pull up as many panels in the interior as I could.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/7921
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For what it's worth, I did a walkaround of the one at the American heritage Museum and tried to pull up as many panels in the interior as I could.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/7921

So many great photos!! Thanks for the references Matt, I've found a few extra bolt heads to add on the turret counterweight interior brackets!

Just wondering if anyone knows what that box is on pic #49 with rhe hose coming out of it? With no power traverse on the m10's it can't be anything hydraulic.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 08:45 AM UTC
Looks like electric trunking coming from that box and running round the left side of the turret. Could be a post-war change, as much of the ammo fittings seem to have been moved too. Maybe power could be plugged in from the hull as long as the turret wasn't traversing much from "forward"? On one of the pics you can see the mounting bracket for the hull comm boxes on the ceiling between the driver hatches...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 02:52 AM UTC
There should be a como box for each individual crew position as that is where each member would attach their headphones and throat mike.

Whether the Commander, Gunner and Loader's como boxes where above or below the turret ring in such an open top turret I cannot tell from the photos or the drawings - I guess this means I am of no help in your question.

If boxes were above the turret ring then the wiring would have to first run thru a slip ring device (large round coffee can sized device set it the center floor) to allow the wiring not to twist as the turret rotated. (That was how it was done in the US Shermans in any case.)

p.s. Also as Tom pointed out the ceiling mounted bracket seen in photo #73 between the hatches looks to possibly be the mounting point for one or more como boxes
 _GOTOTOP